"Healthy" = UNHEALTHY!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I lost a lot of weight 1.5 years ago on the raw food diet, and was hospitalized for my low heart rate (44bpm resting) and low weight (14 years old, 80 lbs, 5'2"). Now I'm pretty much back at that same weight and heart rate, and am about to be hospitalized. However, I did some research, and in the raw vegan community many people say that the standards for what is a "healthy" weight are totally messed up! What's considered a healthy weight by doctors is actually overweight! I feel like I'm being forced to gain weight that I don't need! Please help! And another thing... the whole "menstruation" thing... I heard that it's totally unnatural for women to menstruate! And even if it is natural, maybe it's just not "my time" yet...but the doctors say it's because of low weight...but I'm not so sure!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Sorry, I did not mean for that to turn into a smiley in my post!!  I just meant to have parenthesis...
  • Posted

As I mentioned in my previous post. I am concerned, and it's good that you are being taken care of by doctors who will help you in your recovery.

Two points here;

Firstly, there is a lot of information on the internet. Some of it is accurate, some of it isn't. Often, the information that is inaccurate or misleading is there in conjunction with sites aimed specifically to be triggering for eating disorder sufferers or in the multibillion industry that is the diet industry. 

Why do you think the diet industry makes so much money?

No-one has yet found a diet pill or diet that actually works. So therefore, people are prepared to invest their money into "new, innovative" diets or pills on the promise that they will shed x stone or x kg or x llbs as quickly as possible.

The day someone comes up with something that works, it will be used on mass to treat obesity and will be available on the NHS. At present, all latest trends I take with a pinch of salt. The only information I trust is from my dietician, because I lost weight, and maintained, and that was eating carbs, fats, protein and fruit and veg.

I agree with you regarding the BMI scale. The BMI scale doesn't always help us for example, when you have a very muscular athlete, as this will show them to be overweight, when actually they are very healthy. However, it is generally an accurate measurement.

What I do disagree with (and certainly in the UK) is that eating disorder criteria is judged on a person's BMI and not their mental state. But that's a separate debate.

Menstruation can start late. Mine started young at 9, but then stopped as a result of my eating disorder. At age 15, it is likely that your diet has affected your growth, and consequently ability to menstruate. There could be serious consequences in the long term, including osteoporosis.

If menstruation is unnatural, how on earth do you think you were born...wink

Sorry to be harsh, but you absolutely need to put your trust in the doctors. They can help you get better. You are really poorly right now, and unfortunately can't see just how unwell you are.

I really wish you well in your recovery.

• Posted

Hi, I'm lily. Did you have periods before you lost weight? I would say that you are definitely underweight.  For one your low heart rate shows you have been malnourished. And 80lbs is not a healthy weight. I think it would be better if you don't read he raw vegan community blogs anymore, it will stop progress. It may be hard to stop reading but you can do it!! I would trust the doctors - their advice has been backed up by scientific evidence but I don't

think the raw vegan community advice will have been. People who are overweight have high heart rates as yours is low it would suggest you are underweight. Menstruation is completely healthy and natural for women. Otherwise nobody would ever be born! Low weight causes stop of menstruation as hormones in the brain shut down when not enough food is given to the body. Women are naturallmeant to have a higher fat level than men to prepare them for having children. The extra fat is an energy reserve for the growing baby. Good luck in your recovery and trust the doctors, they want what's best for you. Sending all my love.

• Posted

Well said Lily!

Hope you're doing okay stuckinlife. I know you were struggling last time we spoke.

• Posted

I'm doing ok, thanks for asking! I have been discharged from the hospital and now my mom and I are trying to work with an outpatient team. If things don't work out outpatient, then I'll go to a PHP clinic. But so far things have been going quite well both emotionally and physically as I've been eating a lot.
    • Posted

That's great news!! Well done on your progress! Lots of love, xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.