"Just a migraine"

Posted , 6 users are following.

That is how the neurologist at the local A&E diagnosed me with and prescribed Imagrin and 3 days in a darkened room! This was despite the fact that both myself and my GP (who had phoned the neurologist department and spoken to a neurologist who said they would see me straight away if I went up to A&E) that this was nothing like any migraine I had ever suffered and I have suffered since 3 years of age (I'm now 50), anyway to cut a long story short I followed his advice and on the 5th day of suffering (I sat up A&E for nearly 6 Hours) I went back to my GP and was re-refered back to the neurologist who originally said they would see me and had sent their colleague, she organised an eye test as I still had what they described as an Aura, I past the eye test although it was obvious that some of my sight was restricted and I responded slower to the light! Anyway the neurologist said that she was also convinced it was just a lingering migraine, but if my vision had not come back by the Friday (8 day mark) she would arrange an MRI scan, she phoned me to check first and then made the arrangements for my scan which took place on the 2 week mark, then I had to wait a further 2 weeks for the results....well the results came in last Friday and it turns out I had a stroke of the left visual cortex which has taken a patch the size of a 10p piece! So the neurologist who gave me the bad news on Friday was the first one I saw at A&E, he prescribed me a life long drug to reduce my platelets and informed me that I will be having loads more tests including tests on my heart. Anyway when I got home my husband read the patient information leaflet and to his horror found out that the drugs the neurologist had prescribed could NOT be taken by some one with peanut allergy (I'm allergic to all nuts and this is stated all over my notes and something I always mention when a Dr is prescribing any medication) so I phoned the hospital on Saturday morning and was told not to take them and they would get back to me on Monday (which is today) to let me know about my new drugs and sorting out my perscription (I live 14 miles away from the hospital, but they think it is just next door!) well it is now nearly 5 in the afternoon and all I'm getting when I phone them is engaged, to say I'm getting stressed out is just a little bit of an understatement as I'm now 32 days since my stroke and only received treatment a stroke victim is not supposed to have!!!! I feel like a ticking time bomb! As any one else had such shoddy treatment because the dr's believed it was"just a migraine" 

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi Helen like you i have suffered a number of years with migraines i had a awful awful bad head early hours on a sat morning at work 31st January this year i too like you had really weird vision but like you said nothing like the migraine aura's i would normally get ended up in a and e like you they said its a bad migraine blah blah blah gave me morphine the works nothing would touch the head ache after then seeing about 6 doctors over the course of the next 5 days i finally got a cat scan and i too had suffered a large stroke of my right occipital lobe hense the vision problems i too was sent to have my eyes tested all before scans unreal six months on i am finally back driving but i still do not see like i used too it sucks i am 50 now too it turns your life upside down good luck to you hope you make a full recovery on the plus side if there can be a plus side to having a stroke lol i have not had a migraine since xxxx
    • Posted

Hi Fraggles, I'm glad that I'm not alone in this. As for not having another migraine I wish! I had another visual Aura  15 days later and although it only lasted a 'normal' time length it was much more vicious than normal and very much like a fireworks display going off in my head, but as At this point I did not know that I had had a stroke I just coped as normal and hoped that all my vision would be back afterwards! Unfourtunetly the loss was just the same! I have been lucky though in that my brain seems to be really trying to re-wire itself and the fuzzy bit of my vision is getting less. I just wish I could get my meds sorted out. I'm going to end up camped up at the hospital until they do something at this rate! XX 
  • Posted

How long ago did this happen Helen??? was just wondering as i am six months post stroke and i must admit i still feel weird head wise lol x
    • Posted

I had my "just a Migraine" on Thursday the 2nd July and got told on Friday 31st July that it was a stroke! I know it is early days but I really do feel like a ticking bomb waiting to go off! 
  • Posted

Try not to worry (easier said than done i know) did they say what caused your stroke?? i had a blod clot a day after having a tooth removed :-(((( xxxx
    • Posted

At this point in time they have no idea hence the heart tests to see if I have AF. Did you have to have another MRI scan at the 3 month mark to see if there is any change? The neurologist said I would have too! 
  • Posted

I am sorry that you have been treated this way. Something similar happened to me many yeara ago. Twice i was sent to A&E wwith a suspected mini stroke only to be told it was an acute migraine. I had auffered from extreme migraines for years and because if this they were dismissive and said they can be acute causing numb face, slurred apeech etc. i recently ended up by ambulance in A &E and was treated poorly and was sent home with a probable TIA, they are to quick to dismiss and play god with peoples lives. I understand how vulnerable you will be feeling right now and can only suggest you cintact your hospitals PALS team, they will help you if you want to complain and also look into getting answers. The more noise you make the morw likely they will listen. I wish you well and hope it gets sorted soon, remember you know yourself best and take take no for an answer.
  • Posted

Hi Helen,

​Yes I have been treated like that on my second suspected TIA, I have never suffered from migraines or headaches for that matter until I was put onto GTN for Prinzmetal Angina, You get a thumping headache when you have it for the first week or 2 but it passes or with the aid of Panadol. Because it was a suspected TIA by Emergency doctors for the second time a Neurologist came down and saw me, he made the decision that it was just a migraine and sent me on my way even after explaining that I have never suffered from migraines, his responce to that was " you can develop migraines at any age" ....I suppose this could be true... but in my case I don't think it was, I've had 2 more episodes in the last 2 years, I just don't bother going to emergency anymore for suspected TIA's, If I'm drooling or having trouble talking or go funny on the left side I just go and lie down until it passes, usually gone after 15-30 minutes, my very first TIA lasted not quite an hour, close but not quite.

• Posted

The thing I can't get my head around is the fact they advertise saying ACT FAST and even when others do they don't! If I had a TIA  Prior to the full stroke I missed it! But I'm lucky that the full stroke has hit where it has and my brain is doing a rewire! So my perm infant vision loss might be very small when I'm at the best I'm going to get! I'm determined not to let this thing beat me that's for sure! If it helps any when I asked the neurologist how I'm supposed to spot another one against my normal visual migraines his answer was if the Aura lasts more than 40 mins I should be on the way the to the hospital. Samuels you need to take care of your self and get it all sorted. I'm going to go and camp at the hospital this afternoon after work if I don't get the phone call I have been waiypting for since Saturday!
  • Posted

Hi Helen, so sorry to hear of the problems you have had at the same time amazed that both yourself and the poor people who have replied to you have had very similar experiences to me. I have only just been daignosed as having a Lateral Meddular stroke in September 2013. I was sat at my desk, had a burning headache around the left eye, I couldnt swallow, had breathing difficulties, my speech was slightly impaired, my face dropped slightly, my left pupil was fixed small and I lost all balance. I was at A & E within one hour. They discharged me dead on the 4 hour mark on a Friday afternoon with suspected accute Migraine, which I am sure was because my wife told them I was on some medication 6 months previous for a suspected Migraine.

Over the next 48 hours I developed total nerve pain, tingling, numbness on my right side below the chest down to the foot. I complained to GP that i may have had a stroke, he practically laughed my opinion off saying I was too young (45 at the time) and didnt smoke. When I first saw a Neurologist some 3 or 4 months later I had an MRI Scan and he said it was clear and discharged me after also checking my spine. I have had the same symptoms ever since together with slight sppech problems and balance problems. I finally got a second referral to a Neurologist at the same hospital, straight away he thought it was a stroke, used the same MRI scan originally said to be clear and diagnosed the stroke. 18 months of no treatment, now with what appears to be lifetime nerve damage, and medication to prevent another. It had recently been reported that there has been a massive increase in the number of strokes suffered by our age bracket, I think they should report it to their own hospital staff. If there is a possibility of Migraine with a worse case Scenario of stroke, the MRI Scan should be carried out immediately. The very best of look with everything Helen, I know exactly hopw your feel regarding the ticking timb bomb, I have felt that way for 2 years, try not to worry but the best advice I can give you is to perservere with the Docs and dont let them fob you off x

• Posted

Oh my! What a really bad time you have had Mike (I think you should be seeing a solicitor!!!) your treatment was appalling! They are just to quick to blame Migraine and I agree they should be doing more eraser he and getting the information out to the staff! I'm going to be phoning the hospital again this afternoon and my husband has said we will be camping up there until we get some medication that I can take! 
    • Posted

Thanks Helen, I have recently consulted a solicitor and at this stage they want to take it forward and get opinions off independant medical experts. Your husband is absolutely spot on and I am sure with his strong support you will get somewhere. Take care and good luck !
  • Posted

On the Flip side, I was diagnosed with a stroke 3 years ago, at the Southend University Hospital (Essex). They have an Award winning Stroke unit and their Training processes proved  to be superlative.

I displayed signs following a day out, my family noticed my speech was garbled and sought advice. Fortunately my son is a Paramedic and advised my husband to get me top hospital straight away.

Within minutes of arriving at A&E I was seen by a Dr. Another 2 hours with a CT scan I was diagnosed. At this time my Memory had gone and my face dropped. Obviously I don't remember any of this. I spent 3 weeks the Stroke Unit, my treatment was excellent. I'm on warfarin and have blood tests every few weeks. This should be universal, in my opinion. 

3 years on, I have had several TIA's and still have memory issues. 

I still live in dread of having another stroke and suffer with depression. I'm not sure that will ever go. 

I wish you all a speedy resolution to all your issues, but would support your drive to make the hospitals accountable. 

Pauline

• Posted

Hi Pauline im on riveroxaban which does the same job as warfrin but no blood test needed which is fantastic as i was getting sick to death of constant blood tests and it never got to what it was supposed to lol now with these one tiny tablet in the morning and bobs your uncle i think they are more expensive than warfrin but i can try to get on with my life without contant visits for blood tests xxxx
  • Posted

Hi Helen and All,

I had an SAH/Stroke,  but a few months before this I went to a new Optician who said I had a wonky disc, I never knew what he was on about and gave my letter to the Doc who never knew either !! I often wonder if a good Optician can see things in your eyes.  I wish you all good luck and Stress is bad for us all,  so either sing a happy song or smile xx  asier said than done also but it helps xx

• Posted

Asier = easier ,,, Wins typo lol xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.