??? Osteomyelitis

Posted , 4 users are following.

Post RTA I've been left with a LOT of left sided damage inc. severe 'foot drop' now splinted 24/7. Due to the injuries I had to have my left femoral tendons lengthened in 2010. Since then I've had 'raised inflammatory markers' & now I have a LOT (& I already take morphine & oramorph) of pain in my left femur & hip and the area is very warm to the touch. I'm due at the Nat. Neuro hospital next month for a 'check-up' Should I say "I think I may have Osteomyelitis"?? Or could it be something less traumatic??

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello, you need to give more information on your history.  Also RTA can stand for renal tubular acidosis or road traffic accident and probably a lot more so do give more information and elaborate on your problems.  I am sure find many abbreviations and acronyms confusing at times.  When I do get around to my history I will have a problem with that myself. 

We all have problems regarding Osteomyletis and most of us only find help and true understanding here.  As I said I have yet to put up my story which is a mess of problems.

Saying you think you may have the big O might turn the rotten doctors against you.  They hate for any of us to know more than them. They may think you are a hypochondriac or need psychiatric help because of it.   I have been treated like this and I think many others will have been too.  

Just yesterday a creep of a doctor who does not know my history had the cheek to tell me that I did not need my wheelchair and could walk easily if I tried.  I do walk although it is a hobble and painful but not for any distant i.e. more than 20 feet or so.  Then he said it would be a good idea if I saw a psychiatrist.  I saw red and if I had been able to would have loved to dash over and punch his lights out. 

I do agree that you should do some homework on it as so many things can be the trigger for Osteomyletis and you will get help here but it might be premature to mention that to any doctor.  It shouldn't be but that is a sad fact.

Anyway do tell us a lot more so we can get our collective thoughts and opinions together.

And good luck,  Gwendoline

• Posted

Apologies! It was a road accident. I was hit by a car & had my neck broken. Had C4/5/6 (Cervical spine) replaced with Bak cages. The damage was; severed, left brachial plexus. loss of left sided function where I can't lift or grip anything, made more difficult by my being left handed. Severe left sided foot drop. Now, I use an electric wheelchair Things have deteriorated over the years and the heat + pain coming from the site. together with the rise in my 'inflamatory markers' in my blood tests make me think I may have osteomyletis  
  • Posted

Hello Gill43872, Do you have autoimmune disorders? I ask because I do and it is possible that they can cause the inflammation markers to be elevated. I have several;lupus, Raynauds and Sjogren's. I have positive indicators for Rheumatoid arthritis but suffer only from Osteoarthritis

I had the 1st stage of a 2-stage surgery that will result in either a knee replacement or fusion, 2 months ago today.  I return to my surgeon to decide on which option 7 weeks from tomorrow. The pre-sugical x-rays showed what looked to be Osteomyelitis, but the post-surgical cultures would not 'grow' anything. I was informed that there could still be sub-acute or infection that was not detectable.

I was told that during surgery they saw no sign of infection, only a loose prosthesis and granulosis. That being the case my Infectious Medicine doctor decided on a 6-week course of Vancomycin and Cephamine in twice-daily infusions. I finished that treatment 2 weeks ago today. It has been trialsome. I hope to never have to experience infusions again! It was devastating to me in so many ways. I am now taking high-potency daily probiotics to get my 'system' replenished, as Vancomycin is destroys good as well as harmful bacteria.

Anyway, my inflammatory markers are down, but might always be elevated because I am coping with several autoimmmune disorders.

I am so sorry to hear that you are in pain. Of course, Osteomyelitis is always a possibility. I am hoping not in your case. 

Please keep communicating. If I can be of any encouragement, that is what we are all here for. Information and encouragement to stay the course. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.