1.5cm complex nodule with several other nodules on thyroid.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi folks, I have hypothyroidism and for some time have felt this presence deep in my throat, sometimes it aches and it's Definitely hard to swallow dry foods. My doctor sent me for a scan where these nodules were discovered and they attempted a biopsy.this proved awkward as the larger nodule is beside the carotid vein. However the scan results were sent to the doctor who has made an urgent referral to surgical. The biopsy results aren't back yet. Anyone know what I should expect.am I possibly looking at cancer/ surgery?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Julie,

Both my daughter and sister had such large thyroid tumor that you could see it externally.  Both of their tumors were cancer free and they are doing great.  That being said, after working in surgical services for 35 years, everyone always says if you have to get cancer, thyroid cancer is the best. Because it is so easy to cure.  That doesn't mean you don't move quickly on your doctors instructions But not as scary as some.

i currently have 5 nodules under 1 cm. so I get ultrasounds to watch them. I'm told if they don't grow much they are probably fine.  Years ago I had a larger one biopsied and it was fine.  Hope this helps!  I know waiting is always hard. 

• Posted

The sensible side of me says it's more than likely nothing but the speed of the surgical referral on the ultrasound findings without waiting for the biopsy results in sending warning bells. Thanks so much for the reassurance, chances are this is nothing more than an inconvenience though I'd love to understand why I have such discomfort swallowing. My thyroid is small, tho the nodule is 1.5 cm beside my corotid vein, so I don't understand the logistics and if it's possible to be the nodule causing the discomfort.
  • Posted

Hello Julie:

My name is Shelly and I am an RN  in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's thyroid disease and 3 nodules under 1 inch, that are not cancerous.

When it comes to nodules, size matters.  Large ones make trouble by causing more pressure on the throat. Some are made of dense thyroid tissue and some can have serous, (blood and cellular)  fluid in them.  Some swell with this fluid in the middle and can be more cyst like and doughy or soft. Some people have a family history of making cysts or growths, and some come from infections and old tissue that the body did not absorb up.

Most nodules are not cancerous but because they can press on the throat and cause difficulty in eating or breathing they may want to remove the lobe they are on. This would be a partial thyroidectomy.  Sometimes if the biopsy shows suspicious cells it is best to remove them.

So maybe the location alone is a reason to refer you to a surgeon because of the difficulty you are having and on the Ultrasound they can tell the size and shape and see where it is on your thyroid.  Sadly, we do not have a lot of room for nodules to be in there unless very small.

If you have surgery expect a cut at the base of the neck and depending which lobe it is on, they will remove it and send it off for a pathology report. You may need to be in the hospital for a while to make sure you are able to swallow and eat.  If your TSH goes up, your meds may be increased.

Keep us posted on how you do,

Shelly

• Posted

Hi Shelly, thank you for the reply, I will certainly keep you posted. Hopefully I get to see the surgeon soon. I am having so many dizzy periods now too and don't know if it's related. Blood pressure was checked and is 110/65 so low, but not badly low. Thanks for taking the time to reply .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.