100mg x 1 at night for chronic migraine and rls

Posted , 7 users are following.

hello,

i suffer from a daily chronic vestibular migraine with restless legs. It's pretty much a living hell that never disappears. My neuro has prescribed me 100mg of Gabapentin taken before bed to aid sleep architecture hence hopefully helping the restless legs which in turn may get rid of my migraine - hopefully but after my past experience with meds I know I'm going to suffer badly.

after reading every bodies review on here it seems that the side effects are quite harsh but you all seem to be on Much higher doses.

will 100mg before bed make me feel sleepy, fatigued and dizzy as I already suffer badly with these symptoms and don't wish them to get worse or I'll be disabled.

cheers

x

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

It is such a useful drug.  My life would be a very sad experience without Gabapentin.  I have had no side effects and having taken 600mg three times a day for twelve years.  So quite a track record and I am just so grateful for it. It may even help your dizziness which is an awful thing to have.  Good Luck to you I do hope you get some relief.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reassuring post. I think mainly ppl who have a hard time are more likely to post side effects than those who don't so maybe I should just take the silly thing instead of starring at it in fear.

Glad to hear it's helped you so much 

x

• Posted

Hi I started taking gabapentin last Friday. For the first night I was dizzy but I slept without pain for the first time in ages. The second day I had flu like symptoms but these had gone by the third day. I can function for the first time in ages. My GP has told me to increase my dosage weekly but I am hoping not to have to do this. I am currently on 300mg at night and can go up to 900mg.

The tablets appear to effect everyone differently.

I hope this helps.

• Posted

Wow that sounds like a dream!! I think I might take a few days off work n take it easy with my dog, pyjamas and Netflix whilst trying them.
    • Posted

Everyone is different and tolerance of the drug will vary. However, based on the extremely low dose and the debilitating issues you are enduring, I would say you have nothing to lose in trying it.

Like others have stated, for me the relief was miraculous. I was light headed, dizzy and all the rest, but at the time it was well and truly worth it. As time went on and my dosage went up, I started having issues to the point where it was affecting my ability to work at all. Unfortunately, I had to make the decision to give it away because of this. I am now on medication that, though not as effective, allows me to function better day to day. Bear in mind I was on the maximum dose to get this stage.

Most drugs are a double edged sword, but I always think it is worth a try if it can offer the hope of relief.

• Posted

It is worth adding that amitryptilene is part of my current regime. For the issues you are describing, it may be worth looking into if you haven't done so already.
    • Posted

Thank you for your response. I'm going to try Gabapentin in a couple of weeks when I book some days off work as I know how meds can caused migraine hell initially. I have tried several meds with no success, all of which made me worse including nortriptyline, Sinemet, citalopram and topamax so I'll be honest in saying I'm not holding my hopes for it. My experience with the past meds is that they mainly induced panic attacks due to getting paralysed and loosing my speech with derealization because they made my migraines worse. I find it strange how the meds I'm given which are supposed to make me better, actually made it worse hence my fear of trying something new.
    • Posted

Hello again,

ive been thinking about you and wondered how your doing on Gabapentin ? Have the side effects worn off?

• Posted

Hello, it's been going OK depending on what I do from day to day. The gabapentin is OK no more side effects. Thinking of increasing dose to 2tabs a day but only need it if I've driven.

How are things with you?

• Posted

Hello 7Jules7,

im glad to hear you have recovered so quickly from the side effects. I have booked 5 days off work for my birthday at the start of October therefore I'm planning on starting them then. My neuro implied that I'd be very poorly with it for about two weeks but hopefully 5 days is enough. Spoke to my gp and she said it's a very well tolerated medicine so I feel more positive about my situation.

thanks for replying

• Posted

Though Amitryptyline & Nortriptyline are supposed to be fairly similar, it's interesting reading the experience of this individual

http://www.crazymeds.us/CrazyTalk/index.php/topic/20273-amitriptyline-vs-nortriptyline/

Regards

• Posted

I'm not surprised with the difference of side effects as nort is supposed to be less sedating. My experience with nort was a very dry mouth and paranoid feelings at the start, after a few months those side effects has lessened. I managed to get to 20mg which is still a low dose at about 6 months, I then started having a very fast heart rate of 150bpm at resting which sent me to a&e- it was the nort. Apparently happens a lot! I put up with the fast heart for another 4 months, got my heart checked and it's fine and decided to stop the nort. It did stop the pain though but made my restless legs were very bad, I was very foggy and didn't have a clue what was going on around me. I weaned off them very slowly, felt like a weight being lifted off me. I am still struggling with my migraine but coping much better off the meds.
  • Posted

Hello, It seems from reading your posts that you are very sensitive to the medication you have tried so far so I do understand you being apprehensive. Give it a try, you will only know if it's beneficial to you by giving it a try. Good luck to you.
  • Posted

I don't think this medication is a bad choice for everyone in every circumstance.  As a graduate student needing to keep a clear head, whose pain turned out not to be nerve related anyway, it was a very bad choice for me, and caused some big problems.  For someone who's in constant pain without it, gabapentin could be a Godsend.  As you said, it sounds as though you're taking a smaller dose of it than most of us were anyway, and only taking it before bed.  I hope it keeps working well for you, and that you don't suffer from any of the issues we've talked about here.  Everyone's different, and this might be the best medication for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.