10mg to 15 mg of escitalopram

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been taking escitalopram for 7 week for general anxiety disorder First 2 weeks started at 5 mg. Physician upped it to 10mg.  At the end of 6 week on 10 I was feeling pretty good most days but still having some morning anxiety that would go away a short time after waking up.  I also take .25 mg of clonazepam morning and night, but I was feeling at the end of 6 week I was getting better in the morning so quick After I got up and burned a little energy I would take the clonazepam hours after I was feeling better around maybe 10 am at work.   I had doctors appointment  a week and a half ago she suggested upping to 15 mg to get rid of the morning anxiety and to help me sleep in longer. The week before my appointment my dogs of 16 years had to be put to sleep so of course that week of my appointment I was feeling worse.  So a few days after my appointment I started to feel better again. I decided to do the 12.5 not the full 15.  The first couple days not much difference besides some constipation but the past 4 days my morning anxiety has been worse and feeling a little anxious during the day, nauseous, face feels a little warm, loose stool.  Is this just a side effect from upping the dose? Should I change to maybe taking in the morning instead of the night? What is up with it making the morning anxiety worse? Ant thought are much appreciated.

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi April,

I upped it to 20 mgs and full blown anxiety.

Took down to 15 then back to 10 in a period of a week.

10mg is where I am good in the morning. Been on the 10 for 3 weeks straight now. I take Pristiq at night which an antidepressant. I also do Zumba and that really gets rid of my anxiety I also fee healthier and better about myself. I also discovered, fish oills, omega3, DHA,

VitaminB12 and B6. Plus Yoga, doing yoga really helps. This has all been my soup and I am feeling much better. I am also working with little things here and there since I am a makeup artist.

• Posted

I hope your Dr told you taking two antidepressants can cause a life threatening syndrome called Seratonin Syndrome??!! Its not a good idea to take 2 antidepressants. Maybe you should bring that up at an apppt. Look it up an read about it. Please!
    • Posted

Thanks for your comments, I have thought maybe it is too much. I will stick it out a little while longer to see if everything settles down.

I totally agree about the yoga I used to go all the time but my work got crazy and I had 2 exams I was studying for so I stopped the gym to concentrate on exams and bam anxiety. I really should get back to yoga. I have been trying to go to the gym when I feel ok and walks at lunch. I will keep you posted if that's ok.

• Posted

Yes Zio! Thanks so much! Yes serotonin syndrome is the worst! I had it while on Welbutrin for two days!

I HATED WELBUTRIN! It's the worst drug for me! I was climbing on walls! The anxiety was sky high not to mention muscle aches and my stomach felt like a I had a huge ulcer. I could not sleep. I was going out of my mind. So the Escitalopram at 10 is ok for me in the morning. And at night I take Pristiq. I tried to just be on the Escitalopram alone and went into a tailspin. Darkness, crying and depression came at me with a vengeance. So I my doctor said to get back on the Pristiq. Whew! Now I can get up take my kids to school,do yoga, Zumba and work with my makeup clients! Thanks for thinking of serotonin syndrome not a lot of people know about that. I read up on it and diagnosed myself. Take care.

• Posted

Yes April keep me posted. Be patient. I know it's challenging but Listen to you body. If it's too much a dosage tell your doctor and don't be afraid they are to serve you you have to manage them so to speak.

And definitely keep taking the walks. Breathe. And whenever you are ready go to yoga. You will just feel one day and put everything aside and you will jaunt do it. Check out the omega 3 and vitamins they do wonders. It takes about a week for vitamins to kick in but they do really help. Peace and blessings! V

• Posted

Its prob from upping dose. When an dose is upped, its like starting all over. Your brain an gut (actually 70 to 80% of Seratonin is made in gut. I think thats why theres loose stools) have to get use to new dose. Its actually a deactivating antidepressant thats why alot of Dr's prescribe for anxiety. You just need to figure out when is best for you to take it. I took mine at first in divided doses. 5mg in am an 5mg in pm. Then eventually went to at night an ended up on 15mg. But it really didn't help depression so stopped it. An I was always tired or fatigued an gained wt. But it has helped alot of people. Just not for me. I didn't have many side effects fr it. Like Prozac! Horrible horrible side effects! For me anyway. Say no to Prozac! Gooodluck.

• Posted

Thanks so much for your comments. I figure it is from the up in the dosage, but I have also thought about changing up when I take it. I have read about serotonin syndrome. I am suppose to wean off the clonazapam once the escitalopram is fully working.
  • Posted

Hi April. I have been on escitalopram successfully for over 4yrs 15mg taken in the morning. I am guessing from other posts that clonazepem is another ad? or is it a tranquiliser drug (ending in epam drugs are ususally tranquilizers) it does sound like you are taking an awful lot of depression/anxiety related meds at once.  like other have said on here when you up dose its a bit like starting on it again, you get the temp side effects while your body adjusts to the new dose, but they gradually diminish over a period of weeks. its also about finding the optimum dose for you - the individual - as everyone is different & may need more or less to achieve control of the depression & anxiety. both my doctor & pharmacist said its best to take escitalopram in the morning, NOT at night.  I would talk to your doc asap about bringing down the dose of your clonazepam in sync with your increasing dose of escitalopram so you are not "taking too much of everything" & not giving a true reflection of allowing the escitalopram to work. i am suspecting you tummy issues are probably because you are taking quite alot of meds, so in talking to your talk & reviewing the amount of clorazapem this might well settle your tummy issues too. take care April. x

• Posted

Hi loo loo, thanks for your response. The clonazapam is a tranquilizer. I am suppose to wean myself off of it once the escitalopram is working. I just thought with the small up in the dosage it would not make me feel anxious, I am not anxious like before the meds, but enough that I do not feel normal. I really did feel good for the most part on true 10 besides morning anxiety, which went away pretty quickly. Some it has only been a week on 12.5mg I will give it a little more time. Also, I will think about maybe taking it in the morning. I have an appointment next week with my gp so we will see how I am doing then and chat with her. Keep you posted with any changes. I am glad I found this forum.
    • Posted

I take Clonazapam. It's an anti-anxiety med not a tranquilizer. It does or can make you sleepy an calm you down. I take it whenever necessary for anxiety. They are addicting an horrible to come off of so watch your dosage an keep as low as possible. I take half of a 0.5mg pill or 1 whole one when its bad usually at night. Alot of Dr (usa) prescribe this along with the antidepressant because the antidepressant causes an increase in anxiety so to smooth things Clonazapam is prescribed or Xanax or Valium. They are a Benzo. Im still looking for the rt antidepressant. Have tried Zoloft (generic), Lexapro (generic) an Cymbalta (generic an I have fibromyalgia. No side effects really fr it except blood pressure went up) an the horrible Prozac (generic). Im might try Effexor XR ndxt but its been since April since stopped Prozac. So 4 months almost without anything an I can tell I need something. Also goin thru menopause an moving my 81 yr old parent's to assisted living. Im just so tired of having anxiety an low mood!

• Posted

Zio, the Pristiq I take is the cousin of Effexor its supped to be better with your liver. It's a really good antidepressant.

I have no side effects from it. But I have been a bad student because when I feel better I started skipping doses and drinking too much wine and then at hit a down ward spiral and also marriage problems don't help. So this time around is m very mindful about taking it at 6:00 pm everyday with dinner and skipping doses. I tried clanazapam but it made me too sleepy and I could not get up the next morning. I also tried Geodon and the next I almost could not get up and went on like that for a month. I am now taking Ativan for extreme moments of anxiety. I also take natural remedies which is Bach's rescue drops or pastilles.

• Posted

Sorry yes the clonazapam is a benzo. It relaxes you in an hour. As I said I take .25 am and before bed. I almost on the 10 mg was starting to feel like I did not need the morning one. The point to them is they are suppose to let you function until the clonazapam kicks in. You could have a good point on the decrease of the benzo with the increase in the escitalopram, but of course I will speak to my gp first.
    • Posted

I am thinking of starting Effexor XR. Im in U.S. no insurance either. Im sure it prob expensive. Obamacare sucks balls! Im kinda scared to start another (would be 5th antidepressant) antidepressant coming fr Prozac (actually generic). It really did a number on me. Im just starting to feel normal physically. Mentally getting fuzzy . Anxiety is bad rt now. My anxiety comes out as worry then anger or yelling. Health anxiety to I believe. Then low mood because I feel like a loser. Not good. I tske my vitamins, Vit.C Vit.D3, magnesium,b-12,b-6, vit. E, omega 3's. ZINC. But not much help. To much stress to. Im caregiver to my 81 yr old parent's now for 4 yrs. It's taking a toll on my marriage, my relationships, my finances (i cant get a good job due to parent's appt,etc an picking up son fr school)& my health an mental health. Cortisol is prob really high. Im going to get hormones rechecked since its been almost 2 yrs since started Bio-identical hormone replacement therapy for menopause which Im sure has something to do with all this. Iv got fibromyalgia to. But was just wondering how Effexor was for you? Which pillare you taking an dosage? How long have you been on it? ANY side effects? I must be sensitive to them. I always have liver area pain or upper back pain. Had labs an kne time Zoloft caused liver enzymes to go up. Freaked me out. I felt so sick. Like the flu.

Geodone Im scared of! They gave it to my Dad one time in hospital just to knock him out (he has sleep apnea so up all night an sleepy in day)because he was up at night an developed Sundowners (elderly get it at night in uncertain surroundings an act like dementia)so without letting me know (i told them to tell me first what drugs were to be given. Iv been in med field since 18) they slipped it to him after I left for night at 9pm an sitter arrived we hired to watch him. I returned at 7am an he was psychotic. You NEVER give Geodoone to the elderly! He tried to walk out the door in his underwear an being very very agitated an aggressive hitting. They called "Code Strong" an I didnt want them touching him so a nurse an I pulled up a recliner directly behind him an pushed down on his shoulders an forced him to sit when he did he went unconscious. We thought he had a stroke or hear attack an was dead. 5 people rushed in an realized he was just unconscious. He could have died! I let them have it! So Geodone you dont mess with! Sorry rattling on. Thanks. God bless.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.