11 weeks post abdominal hysterectomy and still swelling

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi all

I'm 11 weeks post total abdominal hysterectomy and still have swelling and soreness. Some days I feel worse than I did post op, is anyone else experiencing this or should i be worried? Thank you

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Edited

All totally normal! You'll have good and bad days. I was the same and found that my tummy would swell after a particularly active day. My well woman physio wouldnt see me until 16wks post op as she said she couldn't stress enough how much internal healing is required. I was tols to gently rub the scar (so internal tissue doesn't attach to anything else..and that removing the womb leaves a gap and it takes a while for other internal bits and pieces to re-settle into place. As a runner and active person I was sooooo frustrated by the healing process but I did follow physio advice and healed well and haven't looked back! I was 44 when I had it done. My tum would swell when I had overdone things and I was told that it was a reaction from internal grumblings and inflammation caused by putting too much pressure on the area trying to heal. Good luck with your recovery!

• Edited

Thank you for the reassurance there's so many different sites with different information that you just don't know what's normal and what isn't!

• Posted

hi

this is very normal .yiu have had a lot if work done and will take up to 6 mths to settle down.

dont be hard on yourself and try to rest when yiu are able.

this surgery is major and takes a long time to recover from inside. relax it's all normal.x

• Posted

Thank you, I didn't really have much time off work as I don't get sick pay, I worry it was too soon and that I'd done damage by rushing back

• Posted

I also went back pretty early. at 2 weeks but I only worked about 3 or 4 hr. at a time for another 2 weeks. I have a desk job so I was able to sit with my feet up. but i was still worried I may have went back too soon as well. I def feel sore around the incision on days I do a lot of moving around. I started exercising at week 6 but light workouts a couple days a week. I only worked out when i felt up to it. but i too am concerned about the soreness. i feel like some days its like I'm at week 4 or 5.(Im 10.5 weeks post op) but i contribute it to doing too much so i take it easy when i feel sore and dont rush it especially the workouts. ( which is killing me!) lol

• Posted

no I had a total abdominal surgery with bikini line incision leaving both ovaries.

• Edited

I am experiencing exactly what you described, my abdomen area is fine when I awake in the morning, but by mid afternoon it is swollen and really tender. I am thankful for those who responded that this is a normal part of the process, I was starting to get really worried! Thanks for posting this!

• Posted

Hi, I had my op nearly a year ago in October. everything out including abdomen lining, appendix and a huge 45 cm growth. I looked like I was about to give birth! I am fine now but have big scar from pubic area all way up around belly button and about 5cm beyond. freaks me out a bit as I am a pretty squeamish type. it took me a few months to be able to lay on my side. had to sleep upright in bed propped with pillows. had to inject tummy for a month to stop blood clots too.didn't like that and caused a lot of bruising so very tender. over time I started doing more physical stuff and gardening.last few months I have dug a pond, made concrete shed base, moved a shed (two of us), dug and axed out a huge tree stump and made a rock waterfall. I know when to stop as tummy 'stings' and feels tender. don't know if it swells as put on weight, hormones, and I think the weight of my fat pulls so that doesn't help.sometimes I wear sculpting pants to hold it all in. I have been on diet and lost stone but it's slowly creeping back on. although I have done lots work, bending lifting etc, I still can't have my cat place a paw on my tummy or anything pushed against it as it feels

• Edited

I am 10 weeks post and am knackered back ache and bellybutton wound not healing fed up of people saying that should be back to normal at 8 weeks soi know how you feel

tried to get gp appointment to talk but not successful got cream for belly button which does seem to be working

• Posted

Hey,

glad i found this chat as its so confusing looking for answers. Im 3 weeks since full abdominal hysterectomy which removed everything! my tummy def bloats if on my feet above my scar and wondered too if this was normal. I also have really painful outer hips and lower back pain which aggravates me in the evening. Also ive been getting restless legs syndrome. Its so worrying when your bot told any of this which leads to stressing!

Thanks for some if the replies to the original message. As a yoga teacher i cant tell you how hard it is to not want to just get moving but it would seem the common theme is rest rest rest! x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.