13 months later and the nightmare gets worse

Posted , 2 users are following.

Thirteen months after surgery which fixed a the bunion  , and removed  2 m. neuromas, I now have a toe fracture, two plantar plate tears and arthritis in my big toe on the same foot.    I would urge any of you to get multiple opinions before you get foot surgery  The surgeon continued to suggest it would improve .

My foot is now dislocated. If I had used a splint and orthotics afterwards ,I may have been saved what is now a disability. There is also a very strong suggestion by another medic that the surgery could have been avoided and the biomechanics of my foot corrected with specific exercises and orthotics .The original and now  worsening pain has been because I have been walking on the metatarsal heads with weight being carried by my 4 th and 5 th toes 

This has been a huge mistake , which has ruined my quality of life . From being extremely active, I am now restricted in all activity. 

The pain prior to surgery was awful and I believed I had no option. I was not aware that surgery can make it so much worse .  I asked around a lot and eventually I heard of a great surgeon and went to him.. I have learnt to my cost that I needed to look around a lot more . 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

OMG I am so sorry. Medical complications are terrible.
    • Posted

Thank - you so very much.  It is indeed terrible. I am now relying on a really good  podiatrist to help me get back to reasonable mobility.  I think now that the Morton's neuromas and metatarsalgia were an unintentional misdiagnosis for what was always the plantar plate problem, which of course has now become a chronic problem. I am at the stage where if I could walk for a few hours, play golf and do the treadmill without pain, I would be content. As for those lovely high heels, - a 2 inch wedge would make me happy again.

• Posted

I hope that some of you reading this can help me understand the plantar plate tears a little better.  I do not want to go for surgery and the diagnosis is only recent. At the moment ,I have taped the fourth toe and am waiting on orthotics . The toe is dislocated, hangs down from the rest and the forefoot hurts. Am I still damaging the plate when I walk ? What  I read on the net suggests that with a chronic tear, you usually need surgery in the long term. Has anyone experienced this and healed long term ? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.