13 weeks on Sertraline, where should I go from here?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all

I have just signed up here but have visited over the years and the community feel here is great.Β 

My current situation is basically this... never really suffered with any known anxiety or anything like this until 4 years ago and I had a massive anxiety attack when I was 23, I went on 50mg Sertraline, had a short period on 100mg but stayed on 50mg for like 3 years.Β 

When starting the Sertraline it was shaky for a few months, I had a therapist and read some great books and then from that I had 2 and a half years of zero anxiety.

I decided to come off the Sertraline 8-9 months ago as I had been feeling so good for the 2 and a half years, I believed I had all the right tools now to never be affected.

Anyhow, I suffered with a back injury and out of no where my anxiety returned like mad 13 weeks ago, I went straight back on the Sertraline 50mg and had the worst side effects ever with crazy thoughts, intrusive etc.Β 

Here I am now 9 weeks on 50mg, 4 weeks into 100mg and this anxiety and racing mind just isn't letting up. I have quite a big understanding of anxiety etc which helps me stay afloat mentally but I am just getting 0 help from Sertraline and don't know what action to take

Is the drug just not working for me anymore like it did before? or do I need to be patient? 13 weeks is a long time and it should of eased slightly by now surely?

Could the Sertraline be causing the anxiety to be so intense?

I would really appreciate some advice or insight in to this as my GP is clueless

Thanks all

Tom

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Im guessing because you came off them your body is readjusting to the medication again. When i started 50mg my anxiety was worse and i had severe dizzy spells. I almost felt as if i was drunk. After 3 4 months it subsided and my dr upped my dosage to 100mg because my father passed away unexpectedly it hit me all over again. Anxiety shakes terrible dreams and dizzy spells they are getting less but try sticking with it. Here if you want to chat. Take care Sharon x

• Posted

Thanks Sharon. I am just a little unsure how long to give the Sertraline before deciding it just isn't benefiting me?Β 
  • Posted

Hi Tom I have been on 100mgs sertraline for over 10 yrs then abt a mth ago got anxiety and panic attacks bk so doc upped me to 150mgs just been to c doc and he said increase will make anxiety worse for abt 4 to 8 wks then should even out
    • Posted

Thanks Tracey, perhaps I should give my increase another 4 weeks and see were I am at. Its just that I have been back on it for 13 weeks, I expect some sort of improvement.
    • Posted

I know the feeling u just want it to hurry up and get better I'm dreading work tomorrow cause of the anxiety stops me eating then me legs go shaky cause can't eat bladdy vicious circle but hopefully can only get better
    • Posted

Hi Tracey

Hope all goes well for you at work tommorow the thought of going to work is worse than it actually is x

• Posted

Hi ya felt really anxious this morning going to work but managed to stay not to bad now home but just comes over me and u
    • Posted

Today's been better than yesterday πŸ‘πŸΏjust taking it day by day now hoping tommorows better we will get their
  • Posted

Am I just being impatient?Β 

9 weeks 50mg

8 weeks 100mg

currently 2 weeks 150mg

Sertraline worked a storm for me before and I was anxiety free after about 10 weeks, never went up to 150mg. This time round I am just not seeing the anxiety diminish really. I feel as though any good parts of the day are just through my CBT but I get peaks of anxiety as the tablets peak around 6 hours.

Do you think I should ride it out til about 12 weeks on 150mg and see where I am? I am thinking zoloft has burnt out for me but who knows, I just expected some sort of improvement after 19 weeks

• Posted

Sounds just like me

5 weeks 50mg

4 weeks 100mg

3 weeks 75mg

Nealy 4 weeks 100mg

Still got bad anxitey and feeling low this is so confusing had a good week a few weeks ago it a roller coaster hope it slows down soon πŸ™πŸΏπŸ™πŸΏπŸ™πŸΏπŸ™πŸΏπŸ™πŸΏπŸ™πŸΏπŸ™πŸΏπŸ™πŸΏπŸ™πŸΏπŸ™πŸΏπŸ™πŸΏ

• Posted

Hi don sorry to hear u still feeling crap I would have thought the sertraline would have worked by now but then saying that I've been on 100mgs for over 10yrs 6 wks today on 150mgs still got a bit of anxiety but still don't get much sleep had 2 good days tue and wed but a bit of anxiety today
    • Posted

But I've been on sertraline for must b at least 18yrs cause my daughter is 20 and she was only a toddler when I had a nervous breakdown so I've been to councilling group therapy and been hospitalised yrs ago

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.