13 weeks post A&p repair

Posted , 6 users are following.

So im back at work and more or less painfree altho still a bit uncomfortable but today feel as if the prolapse is still there ie i feel as tho there is something inside me and have been experiencing stabbing pains inside - is this normal for 13 weeks post op? Any advice greatly appreciated - Matron?

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

• Posted

Hello jamandar. I'm wondering if you still have a suture that hasn't properly dissolved because sometimes you get a stubborn one that needs to be snipped. Did you have a post op check where you were examined internally?
    • Posted

No Matron I havent been offered a post op appt at all - i have spoken to the consultants secretary who said she would get me an appt but still waiting!
    • Posted

The wheels of the NHS move very slowly unfortunately but that doesn't help you. Your GP could take a look and if there is a suture there he would be able to remove it. Very often practice nurses have that job. I think the stabbing pain is nothing to worry about, remember you are still healing. Are you getting the chance to move away from your desk and move around because pressure on your bottom will make you uncomfortable?
    • Posted

Yes i am still working short days and i am moving around as much as i can but back full time next week. Im not sure i want anyone poking about down there atm as its quite tender but just need the reassurance that its all ok xx
    • Posted

We'll leave well alone at the moment and see if it settles xx
    • Posted

If you ring the hospital give your surgeons name ask for there secutery they will send you a follow up appointment, you need peice of mind Lv that all is well xx
  • Posted

What kind of work do you do, if you don't mind me asking jamandar?
    • Posted

I might be wrong but I always found that sitting too long especially if chair not supportive enough use to make me feel like a bulge was forming. Think it's just where the site of stitches and scar where that is sensitive to being scrunched up . We spent most of post op weeks avoiding bending and lifting and avoid sitting too long as much as much as walking too long so might just be that your body needs to get use to prolonged sitting again.

I do hope things get easier as time goes on and that you get your consultant appointment , and hopefully that will put your mind at rest.

Some of the ladies on forum working in offices suggested getting up regularly and having a walk about if that is possible.

Good luck for future and hope it all sorts itself out.

Phyl ☺☺☺

• Posted

Thank you Phyl -i do try to get up and move about as much as i can - its so stressful - every day brings a different little niggle or pain and not knowing or seeing what is going on is frustrating !!!
  • Posted

Hi Jamandar, although you should have had a post op check, I had the same feeling as you. I was feeling like I was prolapsed again until 4month, I had to call my dr many times cos I felt like heaviness and I was constantly looking at my vagina looking for a prolapse. It's normal to feel heaviness and something tight inside. Now I'm 5 months post op and beginning to feel much better down there. Each woman is different. It would be fine to have an app with your dr but do not worry too much until he/she can see you. Hugsssssss!!!!
    • Posted

This is good to know Hijadeonagro. I go back to work in 3/4 weeks and my manager is going to split my shift between sitting at checkout and standing at self scan. So while I am grateful for that I know I will be panic stricken at every little bit discomfort be it nippy pains or bugging insides. I'd I'm not very good at following my own advice when I get stressed. So will keep in mind all the advice and experience that I can gleen from this forum.

Do realize their are bound to be some aches and pains, body got to get use to things again. So really appreciate positive outcomes from those further along in their recovery.

Phyl, 💖

• Posted

In some cases it can take up to 10-12 months to feel "normal" again following this surgery. 
    • Posted

They dont tell you this do they??I doubt i would have had it done though if they had of told me!!😨
    • Posted

That's about right matron, I remember going to playa de America's teneriffe about a year post op last time and was able to walk the promenade front to Los Christianos and back without any problems. Think I peaked the year after that again. Thought I was back to being superwoman!

(But bear in mind I had slight prolapse still there at 5 month post op, and yet still managed to strengthen my pelvic floor, was doing pelvic floor exercises ( 6times x 10 ) every day! So if that slight prolapse had not come down right away last time I think I would not have needed to have repair done again!

Having thought about this I'm looking forward to this time next year, maybe I'll be able to walk a marathon!!!

Phyl xx☺☺☺

• Posted

Even with prolonged recovery, it's still worth having surgery done, yoh get your life back eventually . Prolapse only ever gets worse and eventually disrupts lifestyle to point impossible to live life normally. Best to minimizer the extent of prolapse and therfore the extent or repair needed. You will feel like superwoman again!

Phyl xx 💖

• Posted

I must admit I'm disappointed in the amount of information given to ladies before this surgery. How can you make an informed decision if you don't have all the facts but things will get better. It will be 6 years in July since I had my operation and I haven't regretted it.
    • Posted

Thats great matron. My hubby's step mum ( she was a district nurse then health visitor) I'm sure you know how heavy that work is , had a hysterectomy years ago and eventually prolapsed, she used the pessary which initially caused problems but she says she was really lucky; she went to health centre one of many days to get refitted as it kept springing out and one of the nurses managed to fit it properly and somehow pushed her bladder back in place at same time. She says she has never looked back. But I know she still regularly swims and still fills kettle with jug and avoids heavy lifting or moving. She has retired now so life is bit easier for her.

I was told these oos can last up to 19 years so hoping this time I last till retirement!

☺☺☺

• Posted

Sorry meant 'these ops can last up to 10 years'
    • Posted

We are finding this surgery is lasting longer than 10 years in some cases and they think it's because the Urogynaecologists have more intensive training and are getting much better at performing the surgery. I certainly hope so x
    • Posted

That's exceptionally good news matron.

☺☺☺

• Posted

Oh my God Matron I thought this surgery would last almost forever! I'm 46 now, maybe with 56-58 years I will have to have surgery again? 😁
    • Posted

I agree Matron. I was told by my gyn that in 40 days I would be a new woman 😂. I'm happy with my decision to operate but I think that although he is a very good surgeon, he didn't tell me the whole truth... The problem is that if they tell you that you are going to be perfectly and you feel bad at 40 days post op you begin to think that something has gone wrong. They should tell the truth I think. I was so desperate with my prolapsed that I would have operated even with 4 bad months after op... So there's no reason not to tell the truth I think...
    • Posted

No necessarily Hijadeonagro, your surgery could last much longer and probably will. The techniques used these days are much more advanced than they were 10 years ago. I expect mine to last longer.
    • Posted

Matron if you don't mind me asking what did you have done and how long ago.

i was talking to my surgeon today and she could not believe all the good work you do on here and the time you give to the ladies, she said you were amazing and agreed it stopped lady's being stressed like me last night xx

• Posted

Gillian I don't mind you asking at all and I know I've mentioned it previously but probably before you joined the forum. It will be 6 years in July since I had a rectocele and cystocele repair x
    • Posted

I had never thought about how long the op would last.. so this is a really good and informative information.  It has reinforced the lack of information that some of us are given though and the benefit of having this forum and you Maton... thanks.

It's a bit scary to think I may have to go through this again though.... doing pelvic floor as we speak x

• Posted

Hi Matron, just back from the hospital they have taken a swab and will grow it with BH I will have somthing back by Tuesday.

the doctor gave me some antibiotics to be going on with, she thinks I have an infection, and some skin tags, but OMG I didn't think she would want to examine me I am only 10 days post op, 

i am am really pulsing down there now 

• Posted

Gillian you will be a bit sore if you were examined so this weekend you need to rest with your feet up. At least by Tuesday when you get your swab results you'll probably be feeling better after a weekend of antibiotics. Your instincts that something wasn't right were spot on. xx
    • Posted

Yes that's an excellent idea. It will definitely help x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.