14 weeks post-op and update

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello friends, firstly I hope you're all doing well.  My mum had her second hip op 2 weeks ago and has been struggling a bit so I told her about this forum, saying how helpful it is and reassuring.   She had a very smooth recovery first time around.   Anyhow, I'm now 14 weeks post-op LTHR, waiting for date for second.   I wanted to ask, for those of you that have experienced ongoing nerve type pain and knee swelling/pain, how long this went on for?   My hip itself is great and no issue with the scar so that's all good.  I have eased off in exercise as it seemed to be aggravating my knee quite a bit, and this doesn't seem to have made any difference?  I'm relatively good in the daytime, my problem starts in the later evening and during the night when the toothache like nerve pain, a bit like sciatica, starts and wakes me up.  I still can't bend sufficiently to out sock on operated leg or get down to the floor without easing my way down off a sofa or chair and then have to have something to grab on to in order to get back up.   Has anyone else experienced these things?   

​Jo X 

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi dear Jo, 

Is the pain on the operated side?  

well, it really doesn't matter ... I didn't know at the time after 1st RTHR that my other hip was bad as well - it came to light at my 6 weeks follow up appointment - but I do remember having these pains - gradually getting worse (sorry) because new hip was working hard to heal while other hip,, who had supported the bad one for such along time, decided to behave badly - 

my knee was hurting so bad that I asked the  PT to bandage it or do something .. what I mean, for me and of course on hindsight, it were the attempts to walk and move, however not in a good way - bend over, unbalanced, limping , thinking I would exercise the new hip to get  stronger ...arghhh - 

so go gently - is there fluid in the swelling of the knee? 

I am 11 weeks post-op of 2nd THR and still not able to put on socks without that funny piece of plastic - The floor is too far away for me and I only go there when absolutely necessary - don't worry about that right now .

are you still taking pain medication? 

do you already have a date for your 2nd THR?

take care Jo ... 

big warm hug

renee

take care of yourself - easy does it - 

• Posted

Hi Renee, you really are a very caring lovely person to us all.   It is my operated leg that is troubling me with the nerve pain and knee swelling but my right hip is also bad because that needs to be replaced.  I'm relieved and reassured to know that it's not something wrong with me specifically, as you had something similar, so I guess I just need to be patient.   

I I went to London on Wednesday for an interview, involved 2 two hour train journeys there and back, plus 4 underground trains and then a 1.5 hour car journey home, an 11 hour day in all, and suffice to say it was all just too much!   I ended up in tears in the car on the way home as I felt exhausted, in pain and felt like my confidence was on the floor.  I suppose it's the post op trauma etc, and expecting too much of myself? 

Thanks again Renee.  

Keep well yourself.  

Jo X 

• Posted

I still can't bend to the floor without holding on to a chair, and I'm almost 7 months I think our muscle behind the knee is very tight, I'm going to practice bending more to loosen it up. Does the front of your knee feel bruised, mine does.
    • Posted

Hi Loral, yes the front of my knee does feel bruised and it also feels like there is a tight band around my knee with a tight feeling going down over the knee too.  

Jo x

• Posted

I think we need more exercise, because I don't want it to stay this way...Ugh
  • Posted

Hi, I am new here had my LTHR 8-24-15, 13 weeks Monday. I haven't tried to get to the floor and have muscle problems in the thigh, sore. I can't stand totally on left leg without some discomfort and when I start walking I limp but once I get going seems okay. However, I feel a little discomfort in the groin and the fold of that leg. Hurts when I push on it but the thing that concerns me most, I am suppose to try to get my foot over knee to put shoes and socks on. Haven't stretched enough to get operated side up on knee almost but when I put the unoperated side up hurts back side of hip.....have you experienced that type of pain? I still have dislocation in back of head and that makes me leary of how far I should go. Thanks
    • Posted

Hi Deborah, it seems we had our ops around the same time. Yes, I get that sort of pain too, sciatica-like as it shoots down leg.

I was very fit up to about 6 months pre-op and kept a certain amount of exercise going until the pain, even with painkillers was unbearable. I'm assuming most of the difficulty is down to deconditioning of muscles as well as repairing of tendons and nerves.

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? I'm 55.

Jo x

• Posted

Hi Joycy, 63 years old. My cousin had her hip done, posterior and at 14 weeks she was hiking in Peru. There's no way I could do that, I walk and do exercises, leg lift, side walk, light squats, clam but I don't think I over do it in comparison to others. I don't worry much about muscle discomfort I just figure not developed yet. I do worry about my hip hurting, on the side towards back..have you had that? Bothers me a lot when I put the foot on my good leg on my knee to put shoe on, hurts the hip on operated side. Only pain pills I take is tylenol which doesn't do much, motrin is better but started bothering stomach all of a sudden.Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.