16 years later after Hip Relacement 😕😕

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had hip replacement 16 years ago when I was 16 years old, recently I'm experiencing some pain and discomfort in my hip. I'm also 30 lbs heavier. I'm just worried and feeling sad and depressed at the moment because I haven't been to a doctor in a long time and I'm afraid of a second surgery and not being able to live the rest of my life comfortably πŸ˜­πŸ˜­πŸ™ Has anyone have any words of encouragement or ideas or knows what's going to happen next ?? πŸ˜ͺ

4 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Victor it may be time for a revision, but you won't know until you see the orthopedist for some xrays...There have been so many improvements and new things happening with hip replacements it's possible that the revision will just be a bump in the road...Good luck!
  • Posted

Hi victor

if you do not seek help now you will end up putting more weight on because you won't be able to move around as well as you should. Things have changed so much even in that time. Yes it is scary. I have had both mine done within 9 months of each other. Please go and see your doctor and get referred for a revision. It is the only way forward.Β 

• Posted

I can try to offer encouragement! it's natural to feel depressed,( unless you want to do harm to yourself ) at least for me. Especially if you had a bad time with the first surgery or just remembered the pain. So, they are replacing the old one that's 16 years old... you'll be happy to see these new ones, and how slick hey are. My doctor showed me what would go where and it's pretty neat, with a pricetag of $17,000... .Β 

I was depressed, but not until after my sugery.I rember it being #4 in the list of post op problems. Me? My hair fell out...from stress. Β  I wondered if I had made a mistake and my mind just started seeing everything as a problem instead of being grarteful. I know there are so my people that can't afford this. That can't afford to take the time off work for surgery or rehab ( months! ), lose the income, also for people with no health insurance, or those that do but, have an enormous co-pay or deductible . It can send many people into bankruptcy. You know, on the very worst day of your last surgery, you go through it. Remember that. You are strong and in control. Think of living pain free after this mew surgery and a good rehab. Didn't you feel relief from the pain before? And you were 16? Interesting.Β 

• Posted

Hip joint materials have advanced considerably in the last few years - and it is possible yours is wearing out, especially with extra weight. Β I am told they select the material and size of joint based on many things, your age, activity and weight, so maybe yours isn't lasting as long as it was expected to initially.

I know how hard the weight issue is, I lost 5 stone (70 pounds) before I was finally accepted for the operation, and it has almost certainly speeded up my recovery, andmade it easier for the surgeon too.

Go see a doctor, get x-rays, get referred to a surgeon (the one that did it?), and take their considered advice. Β Don't just 'leave it', it may only get worse, and you'll pile on the pounds if you cannot move too well.

Graham - πŸš€πŸ’ƒ

• Posted

To use the old cliche, knowledge is power.

It is best to know what you are dealing with as that will:

(a) remove doubt,

(b) remove the "devil inside" which will fill the mind with baloney - especially in the small hours of the nightΒ 

(c) give you a plan for the way forward

(d) put your mind at ease.

The power of the mind never ceases to amaze me, so why not use it for the good.

Hope you embark on this journey sooner rather than later.

MichaelΒ 

• Posted

Thank you everyone for your time to comment on this post. I was going through a really hard time yesterday and I felt like it was the end of the world for me. I was hopeless and defeated. My mind was wandering down to places of helplessness. Thanks to everyone's words including my wife's, I can say that today I'm more grateful and I have a positive outlook about this situation. Grateful that I have insurance and I'm going to grab the bull by the horns and schedule an appointment this morning. I do feel alot better today and once again thank youπŸ€—πŸ˜€πŸ˜, like they say , to me this was God inside all of us , and thank-thank you for your time and compassion.

When I was 16 I was ejected from the back side window of a Ford Explorer and I'm grateful to be alive. If I'm still here no need to give up or worry , I'm going to fight and do everything I can within my reach and the rest will take care of itself. I will keep you all in my prayers , thank you for helping me out.

• Posted

Victor

That's the spirit - my physio said to me that attitude (to the hip, operation and recovery) is everything. Β  That fighting spirit will help you to recover.

Best wishes

Graham - πŸš€πŸ’ƒ

• Posted

Good luck Victor, glad you are feeling better.....
  • Posted

Hi Victor,Β 

Welcome to our wonderful forum -Β 

You have come to the best place for encouragement and support and I am happy to see that you made the decision to go and see a doctor -Β 

As said, so many improvements are made and there should not be any reason why you won't live a full acive life (without pain )

Please keep in touch and let us know, okay ?Β 

big warm hug

renee

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.