18 y/o with rls

Posted , 2 users are following.

im an 18 year old male, been having restess leg syndrome for about 5 months now at nighttime. when i go to lay down for bed my legs and thigh just automically start to twitch and flex and it keeps me awake for hours sometimes. im not taking any medication at all, not sleeping pills, caffiene or anything. i've found that takng a hot bath helps for the time being but as soon as i lay back down it starts again. ive recently been taking giving in and taking 5-10mg of melatonin if my rls keeps me up for over an hour, which helps get me to sleep faster. i'm stuck wondering whether to make a doctors appointment or try otc medication for RLS. which should I go about first? is there any prescriptions for RLS for my age even?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I've had RLS too and it comes and goes. It seems to be worse when I eat too much sugar and drink alcohol (not a problem for you, right???). I've done a lot of research on this and it seems that RLS may be an underlying symptom of an overall autoimmune disorder. So, I first cut out all added sugar since sugar is one of the worse offenders for autoimmune disorders. I also cut out alcohol because alcohol is a neurotoxin and RLS is fundamentally a neurological disorder of the muscles. I started taking Magnesium supplements because muscle control depends on having sufficient amounts of Magnesium to function properly and not cramp, which is how my RLS presents. But, I was still having problems - random flares at night right after I would go to bed. So, clearly I needed to do more. I prefer not to take medications and find natural ways to cure my body so I started researching more and I learned that autoimmune disorders are exacerbated by Iron deficiencies. I didn't have a blood test but I know that I have been borderline anemic all my life so I am assuming I am probably Iron deficient. I found a good source of Iron - Floradix - available in health food store or online. I also learned that Vitamin D helps boost the immune system and helps control autoimmune disorders so I started taking Vitamin D3 (I've since learned that if you take Vit D3 you should also pair it with K2 to help absorption). Since I starting the Iron, Magnesium and Vit D I haven't had any flare ups. It seems like all of this - diet and supplements is finally working. Do your own research and good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.