19 year-old female with persistent hair loss

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, my 19 year-old sister has been suffering from hair loss for quite a while. She has tried Minoxidil, and even lost 20 kilos last year to combat PCOS symptoms. However, her hair loss continues.

What other treatment can we seek?

Here is a bit more background on her hair loss history:

— Female, 19, Currently year 2 in Uni

— Her symptoms started in 2015, when she was doing her O levels. She saw a dermatologist then who treated her with Minoxidil. Results were not encouraging.

— In 2017, she saw a GP near her house and was found to have features of PCOS. At that time, she had weight issues and menses was irregular. Blood pressure was normal then. Her blood work showed high testosterone level, very low Fit D levels. An ultrasound scan was done and showed a few ovarian cysts. Not conclusive of PCOS though.

— In 2019, she saw another GP and tests were done. This time, her weight is better managed, she had amennorrhorea for 6 months but it came recently. Her testosterone level is now high normal and vit D and Fe are low.

— Clinically, her blood pressure was 100/70 mmHg, her height was 172.5cm, weight 82.9kg, making a BMI of 27+. The scalp looks oily despite seeing her in the morning, hair follicles are seen but the hair are sparsely distributed.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Has she seen an endocrinologist? A gyn? Did anyone recommend a low birth control pill? Is she bulimic?

Is she taking iron supplements? Does she know her ferritin levels (iron stores)?

There are medications (hormones) that can help. Hairloss is common in women with PCOS, but I think once her hormone levels are balanced the loss will slow down.

She really needs to see a GYN or endocrinologist to confirm PCOS.

Ferochel is a good iron supplement, easy on the stomach, you can buy on the internet. Take with orange juice to help absorption. Low iron/ferritin can cause hair loss. There is also a powder you can buy to to sprinkle on the thin areas in the hair to help camouflage thinning hair so it isn't as noticeable.

• Posted

What is her iron/ferritin levels.

My hair has been thinning since the birth of my last baby (3.5 years ago) and the DR thinks probably from low ferritin. Mine got down to 11. Had an iron infusion about 4 months ago and ive got lots of new growth just hoping it stays put!

Also stress and other things like thyroid can cause hair loss.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.