1st Diverticulitis Diagnosis- Prescribed Cipro and I HATE it.

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was admitted to hospital last Wednesday with Diverticulitis with a micro-perforation in my colon. Ordered 10 days of 500mg Cipro (2x daily) and 500mg metronidazole (3x daily). When I was prescribed my medication in the hospital the Doctors told me it is extremely rare but Cipro can impact your tendons. Sure enough, I am experiencing issues with my achilles tendons on both legs. I want to stop taking the medication but nobody from the care team at the hospital will talk to me. I keep getting referred to different places. I told my doctor the issue and am waiting for a response, but he seems almost like he doesnt believe me! I asked to be switched to something different. Im scared because I know it is important to clear the infection in my stomach, but keep reading horror stories about Cipro. I am in shape and run quite a bit, so I know when something isn't right. Should I stop the meds? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks.

Ryan

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I am sorry you are having so many problems with Cipro, which is a very dangerous drug. I took it several years ago against my better judgement: i was lucky i had no side effects. I would try not to take it again. I hope you can talk to your doctors and explain your concerns about this drug- it is toxic as you know and affects the tendons. There are other drugs that can be used for diverticulitis.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.