2.5 weeks post hip arthroscopy

Posted , 4 users are following.

This is not a question but a quick update. I know I asked questions about this before but didn't get any answers so I hope this helps someone else. All my tests showed no problem in my hip so my Dr said he was going to do a diagnostic arthroscopy of my hip. He suspected a torn tendon. I was so thankful he didn't quit when he found the torn tendon because I also had a torn labrum and the cartilage was so damaged it was down to the bone. To fix the cartilage issue, he did micro-fracture. He also repaired the tendon and labrum. I fell the first week after surgery but it doesn't seem to have adversly affected the hip. Because of the micro-fracture, I am still non-weight bearing for the first 3 weeks. I then go to partial weight bearing and start PT. That is all next week. Since I haven't been able to walk, I'm not sure how sucessful this was, but hoping it takes care of my problems. I hope anyone else having to go through this has a good outcome. As for pain, it's not too bad. The day of surgery it was almost unbearable and they kept me overnight. The next day I was only taking tylenol. I did not fill my pain prescriptions as I did not need them.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Victoria, can I ask what pain you had and how long ?

Are in iN UK ? I have more and more pain, more hip pain than I had 6 months ago but I have seen surgeon twice-and every time he says my hip moves beautifully and leave me go. My hip hurts as soon I sit down. and it is more and more painful .

• Posted

I don't mind you asking. My pain started 20+ years ago when I was rollerblading. Extending my leg to skate caused pain. I gave that up an the pain quit. Then about 10 years ago I did line dancing. Stepping to the side cause pain. Again, I gave it up. Then the past year or two just walking caused pain. I did have groin pain off and on during the 20+ years but no one said it could be my hip. The pain I had when 'blading, dancing and walking was on my lateral hip, right at the joint. I am in USA. I saw at least 4 Drs and pain management during this time. I did PT, had x-rays and MRIs and nothing showed up. I found a sports medicine Dr who finally did the arthroscope to see what was going on. He found more than he expected.

• Posted

Hi Victoria!

I stumbled upon your post and so appreciate you giving this update after surgery. Are you able to give a further update, 2 years later? I'm wondering how the hip arthroscopy has helped with your pain levels and how you function daily.

After having PAO (reconstructive bone) surgery on both hips, my surgeon now wants me to have arthroscopic surgery to repair the labrum in both hips and I'm not sure if it's worth it...I am in a decent amount of pain daily and can't play sports, but don't want to undergo double recovery if it won't make a difference in the end. Anything you can share about your experience would be lovely! 😃

• Posted

Hi Victoria,

I am glad it has gone well for you so far. I had a similar surgery done to repair the labrum in my right hip when I was 17. The pain my torn labrum caused is gone now.

I'm 21 now and it recovered real well. However, my gate is a little messed up now. When I walk, my right leg wants to turn outwards a bit, which can irritate my knee after a while. I think this happened because I started walking too early and didn't do enough PT.

So I would say don't rush and when the time comes put a lot of effort into strengthening your leg again. It will pay off.

Best,

Zach

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.