2 days post THR op

Posted , 5 users are following.

THR on thursday, late afternoon, got out less than 24 hours later, i felt ok, some pain when going from sitting to standing, but feel this is now getting worse. now 3 days post op its very painful to stand up or get out of bed. could it be that the joint had been given strong painkillers for the actual op, which then wore off? what level of pain should i expect at this very early stage in recovery? the pain is ok when im sitting.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Edited

Expect it to be painful and your leg to swell up for the first few weeks. Take the strong pain meds and importantly the laxatives until you can move onto lower level pain relief. Don't try to do too much and do your physiotherapy exercises as much as you can. it will get better but it takes time.

• Posted

thank you, that's reassuring. you just start to worry. the pain is slightly less now, not managing to sleep at all though now, hopefully it will pass soon.

• Posted

Hi, I'm 2 weeks in from a FHR and leg still very swollen with pain in thigh and groin. Can't sleep much due to being on my back propped with pillows hence a painful backside!

Is this the norm and any suggestions please? Thank you.

• Edited

i had my THR the same day as you. Days 3 and 4 were very painful to move around but i have found the exercises and walking alot easier since then. But i am still in pain when sitting down. The muscles in my legs are really tender, even to touch and they throb when resting The wound area itself hurts when i move. It almost like i can feel the pressure of the new joint on it

• Posted

today i am 11 days post op. I am depressed. The inside of my surgery leg thigh, entire knee and lower leg is numb. My upper thigh is extremely sore. i cannot lift my leg from either a sitting or laying down position. iI am using a walker to move around the house but my knee keeps giving out and I have fallen once. my husband cannot leave me alone. i have PT coming in 3 times a week and i am keeping up with my exercises. is this normal? its not what i expected at all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.