2 FAILED COLONOSCOPIES WITH PLENVU AND MOVIPREP

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've had Bowel cancer twice and have Lynch Syndrome and am all clear at present. I have to have screening Colonoscopies every 2 years since 2011 to nip out any benign polyp that can potentially turn cancerous after many years. Over the years i've had about 12 polyp extracted.The first 7 Colonoscopies the prep was Picolax which i tolerated well and had a clear bowel for the colonoscopies. For some reason for my last 2 failed colonoscopies in May/June this year i was given Plenvvu (vomitted it so no clean bowel told to repeat colonoscopy). A few weeks later I was given Moviprep for the repeat Colonoscopy which was vile but I kept it all down BUT it hardly worked at all and I failed the colonoscopy again. The strange thing is I had moviprep 2 years ago and it worked fine so I don't know why it didn't work this time?; possibly as it said drink it over 2 hours but I took 4 hours as it was so vile.? What I can't understand is why after about 6 excellent colonoscopies using picolax as the prep and it worked very well and cleansed my bowel and I passed the colonoscopy with flying colours. So WHY doesn't the hospital give me Picolax again that I know and they know works for me? ? When I failed my most recent colonoscopy with moviprep the consultant said I'll have to repeat the test BUT with Picolax..great! But I'm worried that the hospital will think I'm not prepping properly which I AM and i prep 100% according to the diet sheets and drinking the prep. Any idea how many colonoscopies on the uk nhs they will let me have in a short period of time before they give up on me?..bearing in mind my Lynch Syndrome etc? IF and when they call me in for another Colonoscopy it will be my 3rd one in about 8 weeks (first 2 failed ..see above). The hospital does know I have a 7mm polyp in my rectum that has to come out plus any other potential polyp not yet seen..any advice welcome!.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

My mother has bowel cancer and before her colonoscopies it was a pain drinking the large amount of laxative. I don't remember which laxative she was prescribed, but she was retching while drinking it and only managed to drink small amounts at a time. Her first colonoscopy had to be repeated and for the second one she was given an even larger dose of laxative which took her a long time to drink up.

We followed the prep instructions to the letter. I remember preparing a large 5l pot of soup, which I strained through a fine mesh. Already the day before prep and while prepping my mother decided to have just clear soup.

Regarding how many colonoscopies you can have on the NHS, I would say as many as are medically required. As long as you are complying with the instructions no one could possibly fault you. Patients with bowel disorders are more likely to face difficulties clearing their bowels. Often their digestion is sluggish or they have obstructions and abnormal bulges and I am sure medical professionals are well aware of that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.