2 months post surgery L345 and laminectomy

Posted , 4 users are following.

1.  Lower back pain after 20 minutes standing walking.  Does this get better with time? What can I do to help progress?

2. Severe hot flashes.  Weren't there before surgery. Anyone else have? How did you fix? 

I'm an active 65 years old trying so hard to stay that way! I only take Tylenol.  But doesn't help much. Prior to surgery I had spondylethesis and stenosis. I had severe numbness weakness in leg and foot.  That has been corrected! I had no pain prior to surgery.  

Anyone have advice, suggestions or input? 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I'm 5 months post surgery and still have numbness in left leg and can't stand or walk without pain for longer than 5 minutes.

I had a double fusion for DDD, Spondylithesis and stenosis. Your op was bigger than mine. I'd slow down if I were you. Walk when you can and as much as can. Hold off on Physio as long as you can buy you must do this when you can.

• Posted

I had ACDF and laminectomy last month and Im also having night sweats now so irritating I hope you find relief soon
    • Posted

I was already done with menopause so Im not sure if it is from the surgery or not. I have a fan in my room at night and its turning fall so I go outside if I feel one coming on during daytime. There are some herbal supplements but Id ask your doctor before taking them.

• Posted

Hi, I had exactly the same operation last August, I think you are doing well to be able to walk for 20 minutes, you must remember the operation was major and will have taken its toll on your body. The surgeon would have cut through skin, muscle etc etc all these need time to heal. I woud recomend you walk 15 minuites each day and lie down on a flat bed as often as you are able which will help relax everything and help the healing. My consultant advised me that following a laminectomy which was to free up sticky nerves it is important to prevent them re attaching them selves, this is done by either laying down or with your feet up on a stool, then with your legs out straight

keping your heal down move your toes backwords to in the direction of knee, this will move the nerves in your back and prevent them from sticking again. It is very important to sit up and not crouch, I take a small pilow every where and position near my lumbar when I sit down. I also had hot flushes and every time something touched my back it felt like bad sunburn. You didnt say wether you had a fusion with rods etc, I did and now after one year I am nearly back to normal. If I do somtimes feel uncomfotable I consider the alternative which could be much worse as proven by many people on this site.

• Posted

Thanks for the info! So helpful. Like just now I walked 45 minutes and I'm ok. I'm sitting now. So now going to grocery store and car wash. I don't know if my movement and activity help or not help. I did lay around all morning. Lol. My PT starts Oct 1. Yes I have rods and screws. Has a lateral interbody fusion on July 2. And a laminectomy posterior on july 3. It's nice to hear someone a year later doing well! Congrats. I get confused as to whether rest is best or activity is best! I want to be 100%. How old are u.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.