2 Slipped discs again after 3 operations, needing a little advice with how to deal with it?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi!

I’ve never done anything like this before but I am really struggling to cope at the minute so I apologise if I’m ranting.

A little about me...

I’m only 23 and have had 3 operations due to slipping the same discs 3 times. I have had 3 microdiscectomys which have always worked but after 2 years the same discs slip again.

I have always been over weight but last year lost 5 and a half stone, was very active going to the gym and bike rides etc, got to a healthy weight and was trying my best to get my back strong to prevent it from happening again.

Unfortunately for no particular reason my discs slipped again at the beginning of this year, causing agonising pain in my back, hips, thigh etc (I’m sure everyone is aware of how bad the pain can get), I’ve since then lost my job because of not being able to sit for more than 20 minutes without wanting to cry and not being able to drive most days, sleepings hard, walking is hard and everything just seems too much! 

I’ve tried a cocktail of medication but I’ve found that everything I’ve tried either makes me severely depressed or doesn’t help at all. So I’m not taking anything.

So I saw the neuro surgeons yesterday which said they’re going to speak about spinal fusion but there’s only a 50% chance of it working on my back and they’re not too sure as I’m so young. 

I was just wondering if anyone else has tried it or if there’s any tips that maybe I haven’t tried or just any general advice really.

Thank you smile

Samantha

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Samantha,

I'm so sorry to hear about this terrible time you've been through, I know that words can't describe the kind of pain or hardship you've been through with this. I have had back pain myself the last year but thankfully not needed surgery or anything like that, I don't know much about the medical side of it all, but I do just want you to know that I believe that God is going to heal you and get you better again - it is a marvellous achievement to lose the weight you did, and horrible for this setback to happen after that. 

I was trying to send you a link to a healing prayer but it's blocking the message from going through unfortunately. 

Really hoping you can feel much better soon and thinking about you. I do believe that you are going to be healed and get fit and well again, hang in there and don't look too far ahead, just getting through each day when in pain is a massive achievement i know that for sure. 

Craig

• Posted

Thank you very much Craig. 

It is very tough, it just seems to last forever.

Samantha

• Posted

Thinking about you Samantha, I do believe you are going to get through this time with God's help. It must be so hard to cope with as I know my back pain gets my very down too as can't seem to break past it at the moment, and my issues haven't been as severe as yours. Hang in there and believing this difficult time is going to pass and you will get back to being pain free again - really hoping and praying for that for you today.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.