2 steps forward - 3 step back

Posted , 13 users are following.

I have been following dicussions for weeks now and I know this is supposed to happen. But I feel so discouraged today. I feel so much better physically then a few days ago, but I still can't do much, I can't drive yet, so I feel stuck. And I feel like everyone has been so generous over the last 2 weeks, I don't want to bother them. I feel useless right now. You all understand- you have been there. You guys get it! Did anyone go through this stage. How long does it last?

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Carla

Hugs - yes I know how you feel and went through such a time a few days ago. For me it was 2 days.  The best thing that worked for me to do is to get outside even if you just go and get mail.  I. Can say that as this is my second time through the THR world.

Please remember that our bodies are coping with a lot of adjustment BUT it does get better, these down times will be less and less.

Hope you feel better soon smile

• Posted

Aw - its OK! It is still early days but you will now get more able and mobile - I found first 2 weeks the trickiest. Forget about driving until you are 6 wks post op anyway as you are not insured! Get plenty of rest and naps!!! Try a diary of what you are doing each day - you will be 'amazed balls' as my son says, in a week at how you  have gained ground! Truly you are at the end of the tough bit.. I am 7 wks and it has been a long time looking back but well worth it! xx
  • Posted

Don't compare witj yesterday compare witj last week, the change from one day to the next is small but the change compared to a week/ month ago is amazing even 5 months down the line I know compared to last week notice different but compared to last month the difference is hugeb
  • Posted

Hi. Know exactly how you feel. It was a month ago today that I had my THP. I can do more things daily but my main problem is that I am still in pain! It is mainly in my bottom on the side of my op radiating down my thigh and the whole of my leg aches! It really is getting me down. Consultant says all ok so I have to grin and bear it. I cannot take anymore conventional drugs as they are effecting my stomach and making me itch. Has anyone else had these pains. Think if I knew this happened to others it would make me feel a little better but everyone I talk to says they got thru it relatively pain free!!
    • Posted

Hello

I have been having the same pain and my physio gave my thigh a massage which made it worse !

She said she was getting the blood flowing through the muscles !

I am 5 weeks today and think it might be linked to using no sticks more and therefore straining muscles . Mine gets worse in bed and I am up and down all night and like you I have stopped the meds.

Hopefully just a passing stage in recovery

• Posted

I know exactly how you feel. I'm feeling it today. I'm just really teary but have no real reason but today feels like my worst day so far. Everyone has been so lovely and I even had a new grandson born yesterday, which is such a joy. I think that maybe I'm cutting the opiates down and that makes me sad. Also because I'm decreasing them I'm in more pain. I know it won't last but it still seems a long way to go to be finished this recovery period.
    • Posted

Kikeena - congratulations with your new grandson --- 

all kinds of things are happening in our body that is effecting our brain - might take up to one year some times - 

are you sure it is not to early to cut down on pain meds if without them you are in more pain?

I am on the same page as you are and I am seriously considering going back to prescribed amount of pills - 

warm hug

renee

• Posted

Thanks Renee. There's this guilt thing. I should be tougher. I should at least try to cut down some more. Sensible me, who has been through this 3 times previously, knows that reducing when they're no longer required for pain is the time to do it. So I will not cut down beyond what feels easy.

So thanks. You reminded me of this knowledge that I have had previously.

• Posted

Ah hugs to you Carla. There is light at the end the tunnel. Like you I hit rock bottom first few days home so frustrating! Just embrace a bad day don't fight it too hard ! Agree a little fresh air if possible if not cosy in watch an old film or read a good book . Phone an old friend for gossip . It will pass I promise. I am 7 weeks today and not that long ago was doing one of my daily walks in tears of frustration but thankfully seem on an even keel at moment but I'm sure I will wobble again ... must admit thought of work in few weeks is scary

Have nice day

Denise

• Posted

Dear Carla,

well, see, we have gone through this and still are - I  am 26 days post op of 2nd THR and honestly, never have been so down and depressed like this ast year or so .. first the pain, then the 1st THR, again pain leading uo to 2nd THR - the only thing I can do is to just accept it - of course we are grateful - we do feel better physically, we were courageous - we hate to be dependent and have to ask others to do stuff for us because, right now we can't or are not allowed to .... 

nothing I can say that you do not already know ... 

go on darling, accept that you feel like crap today - no need to defend yourself to yourself, feel guilty etc -   it sucks and that is it -

for some reason,, once I have changed my mind set, I am over it ... 

until it hits me again -

someone on this forum wrote once that we also are going through a mournig stage - we lost a part of us, our old hip joint ... 

be very gentle with your self and come back here any time where there are no rolling of eyes rolleyes, no judgement ... just love

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Carla

Hugs. I feel exactly the same. I feel stuck and useless. Just long to be able to go out and buy stuff myself instead of Tesco online delivery.

Don't see many people all day and too tired by 7pm.

Spend my evenings lying on the bed tbh. Pathetic.

Hope this will pass. This is not the life I want to lead at all.

• Posted

Depression is normal after any major illness or surgery.  You aren't alone in that.  I've been up and down like a roller coaster since my surgery (7 weeks now).  Having suffered depression in the past, I know that sometimes it's just a matter of tying a knot in the end of my rope and hanging on until it passes.  Do things that you enjoy if you can.  Reading, television shows that you enjoy, chatting on the phone.  What doesn't help is running the same depressing thoughts over and over in your head.  That makes it worse.  Find some distractions and hang on.  Everyone is different, but this kind of depression usually lifts pretty quickly.  But know it may hit you again at some point - and you will pull out of it again.  This is a slow recovery.  Be kind to yourself.
    • Posted

Thanks so much everyone, I know this is a part of the deal. And before I know it, it will be over. I am just so independent and it's hard relying on others for help.
  • Posted

Hi Carla,

Sorry to hear you are having a tough time right now. I am 5 weeks postoperative and found this forum 2 weeks ago. It was a lifeline for me. There is comfort in knowing that other people share your experiences. I reached out because I felt stuck and had the blues. I Recieved so many hugs and positive messages that it has made the last 2 weeks much easier to deal with. Hang in there, it does get better. (HUGS)

• Posted

5 weeks today Riley !!

This forum has been so helpful to me too and I am so glad I found it . It is good to share the ups and downs of being a hippie and to hopefully support each other . It definitely does get better with a few blips in between . Hang in there everybody 🍸🍸🍸🍸

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.