2 steroid injections zero difference- Frozen Shoulder

Posted , 2 users are following.

Just looking to see from others that have had steroid injections in shoulder, how long did it take to kick in?.I had my second one last week and still no improvement in pain or mobility ( the 1st injection 6 weeks ago did nothing either). I was hoping to get at least some respite to the 24/7 pain. I am doing physio exercises daily too and using a TENS machine and alternating between heat pads & cold pads.

consultant said to contact him in a month if still in pain to try hydrodilation, my concern is that will be 3 steroid injections in pretty much 3 months.... seems a bit excessive....possibly damaging?. Not sure what I'll do if still in this amount of pain.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Edited

hi piper

you know my worries about too many steroid injections.

its not about how many its about where they are placed and where they on target.

the amount of steroid in a jab is nearly the same as one tablet!!!!. but a tablet would be distributed through out the whole body.

a well directed jab. given 2 -6 days to really take effect.

is he jabbing ya through the back of the shoulder about 75mm down.

if you are to have hydrodilatation is it going to be done under a scanner. so much more accurate. and it dont hurt lol

colin

• Posted

both injections have been through the back.The consultant is very highly regarded,he seems to be the go to guy here for shoulders.

the hydrodilation would be guided alright with an ultrasound so will defo be more accurate.

I just feel like a shadow of myself at this stage, am just miserable with the constant pain it has me worn down.....and I know that saying that to you Colin after all you have been through is madness cos I can't even imagine the level of pain you have been through over the past few years.

• Edited

"Oi"

come on piper, your stronger than that pain aren't you.

every day it will get that little bit less. you should keep a pain diary on how bad it was so you can look back at your positive progress.

is it the steriod ache making it worse for you. knowing how bad it can be. then to have someone pee it off even more.

its like poking the bear. and its mummy bear " even worse". have you tried ice. its 10 x better than pain killers. you can get ice / heat pads " re useable for years " hot and cold option in one.

my go to weapons were the ice machine. they are about €110. load with ice and it pumps over your shoulder, lasts for up to 8 hours, i use to have it running all night!!.

and i use to have a sport massage. not a fluffy one. but an elbow and thumb one. when i first went. i was so Surprised how many knots i had. my shoulder blades were like train tracks. the referred pain caused by the shoulder joint affects from your skull down to the bottom of tour shoulder blades.

it took 3 months to sort the muscle issues out which means you are more relaxed. which was less pain.

i also had a sport massage on the morning of my hydrodilatations. just to relax the whole area . it seamed to take better. as with the standard jabs as well.

got me first post op physio this afternoon. had a bit of a bad night as well. post op honeymoon pain injections wearing off. can feel where they tinkered.

stay strong " your a girl. beat us boys any day" . on the pain

c

• Posted

Thanks Colin for your upbeat reply, I suppose some days are just tougher than others especially when you are completely sleep deprived- just makes things feel so much worse on 3 hours sleep.

Good luck with your physio later.

• Posted

lol . you had a visit from the ache monster. who sprinkled his ache dust .

on the whole scheme of things its the sleep deprivation thats the worst.

he paid me a visit last night as well. he is faster than father christmas. seeing all of us each night.

must have laid wrong or on the operated side. on the recliner packed with 4 cold packs. rotating every hour ( have 8). has got worse.

done the whole selection of tablets this morning. concentrating on reducing the pain. its all in the mind.

NA it ain't its in the shoulder lol. did not work. thought i would try.

stay strong piper dont let it ruin the day.

colin

• Edited

hi piper

a good first session. to get to know the physio. put me through some tough moves. and come out fine.

he is am i gob smacked on how fast the repair has healed.

but warned me. nothing over a cup of coffee in weight. just active stretching with the arm weight only as an active move.

he was so Surprised. i have nigh on 90% rom. i have worked my socks off over the year keeping range since having the shoulder detached and freed up.

all good today had a italian meal on way home "yay". treated my shoulder ( is that an excuse for a meal) lol.

back to surgeon tuesday.

the ache today was pit down to to much walking. even in the immobiliser i did not relax the shoulder.

now hand up if you guard your shoulder while out and tense it " yes please answer". i just cannot help guarding my arm.

colin

• Posted

that all sounds very positive Colin,nice to hear that physio is happy with where you are at at this early stage.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.