2 weeks after bunion surgery. Help?

Posted , 2 users are following.

i had lapidus bunion surgery on my left foot 15 days ago. i have been in a splint/back slab and bandages for 14 days with no weightbearing. yesterday i had my stitches removed and cast taken off and i have been given an aircast ankle boot which doc told me to wear only when walking. they have put a white large plaster dressing over my wound. Dr said i could have a bath today but not submerge the foot for too long and said dressing would peel off itself at some point. does anyone have any advice for how long i should have my foot in the bath for and if the dressing will come off straight away? i am worried to wet the dressing if it doesnt come off due to increased risk of infection.

Also, since the cast came off yesterday my ankle is VERY stiff! doc told me to practice flexing it back but it wont move!! will this get better and how long will it take??

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

hi, i might be too late but i font think you should submerge at all, my doctor told me no baths or swimming even after the stitches are out. i put plastic bags over my feet and taped them around my ankles and made sure they were taped to my skin as well

for your ankles, you need to move them!! i know what its like, its very difficult and you may not be able to move them but a tiny bit, but you will slowly gain more movement. just that tiny bit of flexing will make a dramatic difference, i had severe pain after my surgery for weeks, but a big part of the pain was my ankles. once i started flexing them, a lot of the pain went away

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.