2 weeks post op

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello,

Monday will be two weeks since my surgery. I had tailor bunions removed from both of my feet. Stitches *should* be coming out this Thursday, but otherwise my doctor said I am healing up very well. No bruising, no redness, minimal swelling.

However, it still hurts to walk (even with my walker), at night I get muscle spasms that start at my incision and shoot up through my leg, and I used to be such a heavy sleeper but since the surgery I hardly sleep at night. When I do, or when I take a nap during the day it feels like I'm asleep for hours only to wake up and see that it's only been 10 minutes.

I go back to work on Monday and I don't know if I'm ready (I stand all day at work). I'm getting to be optimistic but realistic at the same time.

I guess I'd just like to know that this is all normal because it's getting a little frustrating...

Thank you for listening/reading

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

Hi Pghgirl88

I'll be 4 weeks post op on Thursday. Be patient with the pain.  I have t found muscle spasms but I did wear a sock at night until it didn't bother me to sleep without one.  I took a pain med before I went to sleep until about a week or so ago.  It helped me get good sleep.  Now I don't take any.  Hopefully you'll have a boot before going back to work.

hang in there, it gets better.

• Posted

I currently have two velcro boots on that I cannot take off.
  • Posted

I'm not sure how you will go back to work? I am 4 weeks post double bunionectomy and I am onschool holidays now but I still can only stand for short periods without my feet throbbing.

Sleep wise it is tricky but I now sleep very well so give it time . It does get better but keep up with the pain relief as I am only just without it .

Hope this helps .

• Posted

I feel the same way with standing. But my doctor seems to think I'll be okay...? I'm going to give it a try but I don't have much confidence in myself. I just don't want to let anyone down.
    • Posted

I know what you mean re work and letting people down.I work in a school so luckily had the op just before we broke up, I'm not a Dr but it just seems too soon. It's ok if you have a desk job but you can't stand all day. I'm really surprised the Dr says it's OK. You' ll have to take his advice but I wouldn't over do it. They'll see at work that you shouldn't be back .
    • Posted

That's what I was thinking. Either I'll be asking to go home early, or they will see how useless I am and send me home.

• Posted

Hi.

i am six weeks post op and have had no trouble at all.

feet great no swelling at all and I have walked after day two of my op.

i have pushed myself really hard and everyone keeps telling me that I do to much.   Managed a daily bath without getting feet wet. I also do feet excesise everyday. When I need to go out I hire a mobility scooter and wiz around town, really love it. Bandages off on Tuesday, I have already had a peep and change bandages every few days and at the same time clean my feet..  I am retired and 66yrs old but it's the best thing I have ever had done.

Hope I not in trouble when I go to hospital!!  Scar is brill feet look great and I am really pleased with results.

just stick at it, but I am sure by keeping active it has help immensely.

the six weeks as just flown by.

• Posted

Hi , it's great to hear such a positive story. I love the idea of a mobility scooter but I am 4 weeks now and am walking around a lot more. I had my 2 week check and they took all the bandages off and left me with only a splint on each foot to keep my big toes separated. They said I could shower every day which was great although like you I was bathing with my feet sticking out in the beginning. I am doing exercises every day too but haven't had advice on what is good to do so any tips are welcome.  I've not had any pain but keeping my big toe separated can be uncomfortable if the splint is too tight. Are you having to keep your big toes separated 24/7? Is there a good website you would recommend on timings or have you just done as much as you feel you can. Like you I'm an active person but this has made me relax but I may be relaxing too much? I'm just worried about the pins moving or damaging the work they have done?

Any tips are welcome. Thanks 

• Posted

The spasms are the worst part, in my opinion. My twitching/spasms were focused on my toe, not up my leg but I understand the pain, it was pretty intense.

Like someone else said, patience really is key, which is easier said than done. I got frustrated for weeks until my mobility improved, which didn't occur until around week 6. After the stitches come out, you really start to feel better. I was amazed at the difference it made. I would say after week 3 was when I started to feel rapid improvement in terms of my pain/soreness and overall mobility. So you're completely normal for 2 weeks out biggrin

Honestly I don't think standing all day at work is going to be good for you. I feel like surgeons tend to follow a kind of cookie cutter idea of what we should be doing when, without always taking into consideration real life. You could probably tough it out, but if you can get more time off, take it. It'll speed up your healing.

• Posted

Thank you!

I'm about to leave for work and I feel okay. I've already decided that I'm going to try for a full day, but I may (more than likely) leave at a half day. I'm trying to be optimistic whole being a realist.

• Posted

Good luck, let us know how you get on. I totally agree with Claire standing all day is not good. I can only manage standing for short bursts and then I need to sit and elevate otherwise my feet throb and get puffy.
  • Posted

So, first day back wasn't too bad.

I usually work 8 hours, I got through about 5 1/2 hours (I sat for about 2 hours of the total time.)

My feet started to hurt and I told myself I would be fine and I could tough it out.

Fast forward 10 minutes and I realized how dumb that is. Me standing there was not going to help anything. I talked to my supervisor who had no problem with me going home.

I'm disappointed I couldn't work al day but I'm pretty happy with how everything went.

Thank you all for your input, advice, and stories. I stumbled upon this forum basically out of desperation and frustration. And I'm glad I did. :-)

• Posted

That's brilliant but are your feet throbbing now? What shoes are you in?
    • Posted

I have the little velcro boots they gave me at the hospital. I haven't been released from those yet.

Once I got home, I took them off and elevated them. Right now they seem okay. On a scale of 1-10 for the throbbing, I would say it's at a 2.

• Posted

Interesting as I've got very heavy black plastic Jura medical Velcro boots. I'm sure they make walking harder as they make me walk on my heels but I have to wear them till the 19th August. They are like comedy boots and a bit like flippers with a wedge heel. It seems to me that everyone on here is having a very different experience.
    • Posted

That's what I think is so interesting. All the different stories and experiences.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.