20 yo female experiencing shortness of breath

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone, I have been experiencing some troubling shortness of breath for a while now. This shortness of breath occurs mostly while I'm sedentary, like when I'm just sitting down or in bed. It feels as if I can't fully breathe in a full breath of air and I am left feeling the need to yawn in order to get a satisfying breath. I'd say this started around March. At first I thought this was due to my being out of shape, but I have since added an exercise regime and cleaned my eating habits (had high cholesterol at the doctor's office- they have since lowered even though the levels are still relatively high for my age) to no avail. I'm still out of breath a lot of the time! I have also noticed that recently I have been feeling much more emotional than usual. I've been really irritable lately and I have days where I'm on constantly the verge of tears! Some other symptoms include hair loss (very mild), weekly headaches (which have now decreased in frequency after increasing my water intake), and faintness when standing up too quickly. I'd really appreciate any help with this, I shouldn't be feeling this way- I'm only 20 years old and a relatively healthy young woman. Please help! smile

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

oh marie...it sounds like you have a low thyroid...that would explaun everything...see you GP asap!

love marey x

• Posted

I actually went to my GP yesterday and she thinks I might have hypothyroidism. She ordered some tests and I should be getting results next week. Thanks for your response! 
    • Posted

well done marie.....so now you're on to the path to recovery!

Hope it is a really enjoyable and uplifting experience for you ....i'll be glad to walk along with you! xx  

• Posted

So what has your GP said to you? It seems to me that you need further examination, possible by a general consultant who will look at you 'in the round' rather than looking for any one specific problem.

That shortness of breath may be caused by faulty valve action in your heart. At your age that may not be something a GP would  consider but who can say what has been developing over years if there was a problem in your heart long ago. This is only one of a number of possibilities and I only mention it to point out that a full examination of your vital organs will either eliminate such a possibility or find the reason.

That high cholesterol, although now being treated, is an indication that your lifestyle has not been as healthy as you may think and the exercises and changes in diet now undertaken will be good for you. But you do need to find out if there is something that needs to be addressed in order to benefit fully from those changes. If nothing else you need to be reassured so that you do not worry about your health as this produces stress that has a negative impact upon your general health.

Go back to your GP and seek further examination.

• Posted

Thanks for your input. I've spent months worried that it's a problem with my heart, but I got an EKG done at school in May (after experiencing shortness of breath and pain in my left arm) and my results were normal. I just told my GP about my breathing issues yesterday and happened to mention my hair falling out so she thinks I might have hypothyroidsism, as that would also explain my high cholesteral. You're right though, I haven't been living my life in the healthiest way in the past few years and I can't keep on living with these breathing issues. If the thyroid tests come back normal I'll definitely press my doctor to further examine my heart and other organs. Thanks again!
  • Posted

Have you got your results? Take this chance to kick start the new health you! Changing ones habits is not always easy. But keep at it, at you will see a difference in no time.
    • Posted

lovely cheering comment Sarahgirl....and jaguar's advice. how are you doing now ?
  • Posted

Interested in knowing what your diagnosis was since I'm having these same symptoms currently.

• Posted

I know this may sound silly but do you think you have any thyroid issues? 
    • Posted

I just saw other people's post about thyroid. Makes sense. Test can easily be done

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.