21 years old, purple/red splotches on breasts. Doc described as bilateral erythema telangiectasia?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am 21-years old, with DDD breasts and I am overweight. (5'1, 236 lbs.) Almost a month ago, I went to an endocrinologist because I stopped getting my periods roughly 2-3 years ago. During the exam, she looked at my breasts and showed some concern because of the color. (They look almost bruised?) Since then I have been seeing multiple doctors trying to find some answers, but none of them so far have any. My OBGYN described them as bilateral erythema telangiectasia in the paperwork she gave me to give to a clinic for an ultrasound I have next week. My OBGYN did not seem concerned about cancer, but did still send me to get an ultrasound "for (my) own comfort". My endocrinologist seemed mildly concerned, and my physician wanted to refer me to a breast clinic. I'm waiting for this ultrasound before making any additional appointments, but I've been really worried about IBC because it is the only thing that comes up on google and there has been very little information otherwise.

Other than these markings and mild aching, I have had no other symptoms that I'm aware of. I can't tell how long these veins have been visible (because I hate my body and rarely look at myself) but I have reason to believe they've been around at least a month or two before seeing my endocrinologist, because I remember noting that they were similar in color to an old scar I have on one of my breasts.

I've noticed when I'm warm (and like when I'm coming out of a warm shower) my breasts are pinkish and they almost look normal. They don't typically look bad when I'm waking up. When I'm cold, they tend to look very purple or red. Lately it's been getting colder because I live in Michigan and it's December, and my dad doesn't like me touching the thermostat. I also stopped wearing a bra when I was 17. (Sometimes I wear one on special occasions, but I rarely do for comfort.) Also the veins on my hands have always been very visible during the cold.

Finally, my doctors are still testing to see if I have PCOS. My estradiol is low and my testosterone is a bit high. They have me on Metformin ER, and before that I was on regular Metformin for almost a year to treat pre-diabetes (which I no longer have).

Does anyone else here have spider veins on their breasts or know any possible causes that aren't cancer? And does anyone have any advice on what to tell my doctor next week for the ultrasound? I've been REALLY worried and I don't know what to do or why my breasts look like this.

Idk if I'm allowed to post pictures, but if I am, I'd be okay sharing them.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

when you say that they look bruised what exactly do you mean?

• Posted

I can see spider veins, and sometimes they look purple or dark red. Lately the spider veins have been less visible, but they're still there and I'm concerned.

• Posted

What was the outcome? Im also large breasted, and started noticing red/pinkish/purple marks on my left breast. sorta looks like broken cappilaries.

• Posted

has anything changed for you? as in how tge redness looks did it get worse or still the same?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.