22M Blood when wiping for years

Posted , 2 users are following.

Okay, let me preface this by saying I know I’m an idiot. This has been occurring for years. Like probably 5-10 years but I don’t know for certain. I know I should have been to the doc by now but I haven’t mostly due to being anxious around doctors. I pull a 130+ HR at the docs (normal otherwise) and have spent more time than I would like to have with a cardiologist as a result just to always hear “fast but normal HR.”

But to the issue. I have experienced blood when wiping for a very long time. It comes and goes. Sometimes I can go a few weeks with nothing and then all of a sudden it’ll be there for a few days / weeks. It’s almost always very light bleeding but bright in color.

When it is a little more mild it only barely hurts or doesn't hurt and I believe it’s external meaning when I finish using the restroom I can push toilet paper against my anus and it will remain there. Again, this is only when it’s more mild.

When it's a little more (never anything excessive) it hurts a little more. It's not a lot of blood. Usually the spots are maybe half the width of a finger nail or slightly larger than the end of a toothpick. It is always bright red and I have never seen blood on my actual stool. When there is bleeding it causes my anus to itch (I assume from the blood).

I am planning on going to the doc soon to talk about this. Yes, I know I should have done this many years ago. I also have heard my brother (a few years older than me) talk about having a similar issue before.

Does this sound like anything specific? Anything to worry about? Again, this has occurred for many years but I am only now getting around to getting it checked. I have always assumed hemorrhoid or anal fissure as I believe it to be external 90%+ of the time. There are also times I can feel something on the outside of the anus that feels swollen (I assume hemorrhoid) but other times I don’t feel it yet still experience blood. Could I have both internal and external hemorrhoids?

Any thoughts are appreciated. Again, I know I’m an idiot. Thanks!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

sounds like hemorrhoids which are blood vessels around the anus and during straining and pushing BM, they can become visible, bleed, and sore. The fact your bleeding is bright red and only when you wipe and is not dark brown/blackish colored blood (which usually indicates bleeding higher up in the GI tract) is also a sign of bleeding hemorrhoids.

to help combat this: increase fiber in your diet, take stool softener as needed (but do not abuse it as it could make your bowels dependent on it), tey not to strain while passing a BM, perhaps purchase a squatty potty, use preparation H cream on hemorrhoids to help with pain, sit on cushions to help with pain, and take warm baths to help with pain.

hope this helps!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.