24/7 breathing problems

Posted , 7 users are following.

Someone please help me. My breathing feels extremely strained and restricted like im breathing throigh a straw 24/7 and it wont go away from when i wake up till I go to sleep. Its gradually worsened over the past few weeks and im scared im dying. I've had all the relevant tests done and the doctors say its anxiety. MY sat levels are always 96-100 and my chest is always clear. no pain, no coigh or wheeze. Has anyone else had the same symptoms as me? Im not short of breath just finding it very difficult to breathe. Im unable to leave the hoise at the moment and had the ambulance out three tomes in a week because im so scared. I feel like theres an obstruction or something seriously wrong. Please help

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Does sound like anxiety. If nothing has been found on all the tests you will have to accept that this is what it is and ask your doctor for something to help you with this problem. The more you worry about it the worse it will get so see your doctor asap

• Posted

I dont understand how it can be anxiety when my breathing feels so severe? Ive been to the doctor multiple times and taking diazepam but my breathing problem still remains. I dont get a break from it

• Posted

Anxiety can feel VERY, very severe, you have to believe that scans etc and all the tests you have had show nothing, your muscles might have got tight just through sheer panic which is what is making it feel so bad, the brain is a very powerful thing and can convince the body something is wrong, look at voodoo people can be convinced that they will die and they do.

Believe you me, I wouldn't wish what you are feeling on any one as I have that but mine is from lung disease that is very easy to see on scans and blood tests.

I am not being patronizing but maybe therapy will help

• Posted

I've had anxiety and panic from childhood and its very different from the symptoms i get from that which is why im concerned and i appreciate that but its when im not even having a panic attack and im not even anxious i still feel my breathing is extremely restricted. I havent had any scans yet just my oxygen levels checked, chest listened to, peak flow , bloods etc had a chest xray a coupe of years ago which came back normal but other than that I dont see how they can rule it out to be anxiety? im sorry you have that 😦 ive tried therapy and for me it wasnt helpful

• Posted

Don't have to have a panic attack to have health anxiety My blood oxygen is often at 71 at the slightest effort, rarely above 90 resting , peak flows disasterous, I can blow out but not breathe in. and yes I am on supplemental oxygen Sorry you feel like this but nothing more I can say, I still stick to what I have said as if you did have serious, or even minor problems something should have shown up in the tests you have had.

• Posted

I know but i dont understand how it can be anxiety when it feels so restricted 24/7? it feels so physical and nothing is easing it. Thats horrible for you and I know but there is a possibility something could have been missed? I just cant carry on like this

• Posted

This is what I found on the Internet re anxiety and shortness of breathe

How to get rid of shortness of breath from anxietyWhen you’re experiencing shortness of breath from an anxiety attack, it may seem counterintuitive that your breathing is what you should focus on.

But by focusing on your breathing, you can get it under control and the right amount of oxygen into your lungs.

Experts recommend practicing diaphragmatic breathing. This is a type of breathing technique that uses your diaphragm. The diaphragm is the most efficient breathing muscle we have.

When you’re experiencing shortness of breath, you’re generally breathing from your mouth or chest. Diaphragmatic breathing can:

slow your breathing rate

decrease your demand for oxygen

use less effort and energy to breathe

Here’s how to practice diaphragmatic breathing:

Sit up comfortably in a chair or lie back on a flat surface, like your bed, with your head supported.

Place one hand on your upper chest and the other below your rib cage. This will allow you to better feel your diaphragm as you breathe.

Breathe in slowly through you nose so your stomach moves out against your hand.

Tighten your stomach muscles. Let them fall inward as you exhale through your nose or your mouth (depending on what’s easier for you).

Continue to take deep breaths in and out, feeling your stomach rise in and out. Do this for 5 to 10 minutes a day.

Tips: You’re less likely to experience shortness of breath or hyperventilation while breathing in and out through your nose. It’s also normal to get tired or feel like it’s a lot of effort when you first begin this breathing practice. With more practice, this breathing technique will become automatic and easy.

“The more you can slow down the physical sensations during periods of high anxiety, the more you can use your rational mind to assess what is going on.”

Grounding techniques. One type of grounding technique involves clenching body parts and slowly releasing them. Focus entirely on these sensations.

Mindful distractions. Find something to distract your mind from panicking to help you calm down. Try describing things around you to keep your focus on something else. What color is your couch? What is its texture?

Talk to yourself. Now that you know these symptoms are a part of your body’s automatic response, remind yourself this. In the moment of panic or anxiety, tell yourself “I can’t breathe because my body is trying to get more oxygen” or “I’ve been evaluated and my heart is fine.” Talking to yourself rationally can pull you out of the anxiety.

Exercise. It may seem strange to exercise in the midst of an anxiety attack, but going for a quick run or expending some of that built-up energy may actually work for you. Your body is preparing itself to run anyway — you might as well take advantage of it.

Self-care. You can practice self-care in simple ways. Drink herbal tea (but avoid caffeinated tea, as it can increase anxiety). Light candles with a pleasant aroma. Write down your feelings. Turn on some soothing music.

Shock yourself. Shocking your system by dipping your face in a bowl of ice water is actually a technique recommended by therapists to help pull you out of a thought spiral.

If you notice shortness of breath before experiencing a full-blown panic attack, learn to recognize it and don’t ignore it. Start focusing on your breathing before the anxiety escalates.

For long-term strategies, consider seeing a mental health professional. They can evaluate your needs and teach your coping mechanisms that’ll work for you.

Practicing your breathing daily, other forms of mindfulness, and taking up relaxing yoga may also help.

Regards Sue

I really do hope that you can accept that physical manifestations can come from the mind

• Posted

Thank you for taking the time to send that to me. I dont particularly suffer with shortness of breath its more the feeling of that its very restricted and its hard to breathe in and the sensation is just very odd. Like im being suffocated or breathing through a straw i cant quite explain it. Im sorry to be difficult im just really atruggling to manage it at the moment and i feel like its something bad. I just want it to go away

• Posted

Shortness of breathe and restricted are more or less the same I know exactly what you are saying. It wont just go away unless you put your mind to it and act to help yourself as no one else can.

I will say no more.

• Edited

hello dear

me also suffering from the same.... 24×7 breathlessness and discomfort

• Posted

Do you have an allergy to pollen or dust? I had a similar problem last month from ragweed allergy. Seems those who are allergic to pollen or dust can also develop ragweed allergy. Even though my pollen allergy is much more severe, the recent attack was just a constant breathing problem. That is why I am using a pollen alert system called Climacell since then. I got scared to death thinking I have contacted Covid-19. et the tests done ASAP and hope you feel better.

• Posted

Hi amber, i am so sorry to hear what you have been going through. My husband is experiencing the EXACT same thing you are mentioning. May I ask how you are now 2 years later? if you are still feeling the same thing? im very concerned and as you mentioned it is no way to live.. please

let me know! thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.