29 with sarcoidosis any help please?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm 29 years old and it started with my back and fatigue then moved to my legs muscles and joints I had MRI on back came back ok then ultrasound and chest X-ray apparently have swollen spleen and high liver count, I feel gassed and out of breath A lot along with chest pains as if it's anxiety but it's not, I work in factory metal work around fumes plasma dust all day, I've just been for advanced bloods and they found sarcoidosis in my anti bodies my emg came back ok still waiting on MRI for my legs as they are the worst especially my knees some days I can't get out of bed I'm that fatigued and joints and back are so sore I can't bend them or stand up can anyone give me a bit of advice for future whether treatment will help with my joints or back as I'm heavily into my fitness and haven't been able to do anything for nearly a year now as it makes me so bad I'm bed bound. I don't wanna live a life on pain killers! Will they take biopsy of my spleen and lungs ???

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello Adam, I really do feel for you!  I was diagnosed with Sarcoidosis of the lungs earlier this year aged 51 after a biopsy of my lungs. I'm now on steroids which did improve my condition and I managed to reduce the amount taken which can be tricky to balance but I've had to increase them again recently as feeling breathless especially when walking on an incline/stairs etc and causes the pressure across my chest as if stressed.  I have had a problem/pain in my left ankle a few weeks ago, but it did subside but not sure if it was related to Sarcoid.  Exercise is supposed to be good but don't stretch yourself too much; have you thought about walking, yoga or pilates?  Another tip is to try to introduce anti inflammatory food into your meals to reduce inflamation of the lungs ie: salmon, kelp, spinach, blueberries, dark leafy green vegetables, brochilli, tumeric, oregano, garlic, rosemary, ginger, green tea, sweet potatoe, papaya. Avoid certain foods which affect the immune system; processed foods, high fat foods, sugar, saturated fats, dairy, fatty red meats, cheese, margarine, cured meats (ham, sausages etc), food additives, alcohol (beer, cider, wine and spirits), vegetable oils (use sunflower oil/virgin oil instead).  It may be worth you looking on the internet yourself for more information.  I hope that helps Adam.
  • Posted

Adam

Sorry to hear you are so poorly.

Your post calls for many answers so I will do my best.

Lung bronascope and tissue collection at the same time will confirm sarcoid.

Suggest they leave the enlarged spleen alone as it is such a delicate organ and you do not want to upset it. If at any time they suggest spleen removal fight it with all of your strength. A body without a spleen causes many, many other medical problems. I have lived with the enlarged spleen for over thirty years with no side effects other then a slightly low platelette count (you should get yours checked).

Joint pain, take glucosamine, krill oil 1000mg and panadol osteo daily to reduce this issue. In winter I take two panadol osteo (slow release) morning and night in the warmer summer months I half it to one morning and night.

I have not found a total answer to this problem and I welcome anyone who can add to management of joint pain. Granuloma in the joints cause this problem.

Fitness is hard when you have all of these issues. I have found walking several times each week for 60 mins helpful in several ways.

respiratory improves

weight loss

general fitness

joint pains lessen

You may need to start on steriods first to get down the inflamation and improve your lung capabilities. This will get you started in the right direction.

By the way, the post by Maria is an excellant one, What she said is right on target.

Regards

Tangles

• Posted

Thank you for your advice and help I really appreciate it will start the diet and exercise tips straight away and let's yous know how I get on knees are really bad at moment and back feels like it's constantly on fire not nice at all

Thanks

Adam

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.