2nd hip op

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all

A question for people who have had both hips done.

When I had my operation 3 weeks ago the surgeon told me he would put me in his diary to get the other one done in 12 weeks, I rang the hospital this morning to find out if I had a date and his P.A told me I'm not on any of his lists or in his diary, he said he is booked up for 6 months and I probably won't get my 2nd operation until Oct / Nov time! I'm absolutely gutted ! I got cancelled 5 times before I finally got my first operation and was basically on the "wait list" for a year. I didn't realise you go right back down to the bottom of the "wait list" for 2nd hip op.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Joanne, 

welcome to this side of the hippies fence - 

I am not sure what to tell you in reference to your surgeon not putting it in his dairy - They way I understand it is that surgeons do not really make the appointments themselves (of course there are exceptions) but usually the secretary has his dairy - \Good thing you called and found out ...

do you have a follow up appointment? usually scheduled between 6-8 weeks post-op - 

I had 2 THR surgeries in 6 months - My surgeon preferred to wait until new hip was stronger - I had follow up visit at 7 weeks and another one was scheduled 6 months post-up ... 

How are you getting on otherwise? 

please let us know okay .. it'll be alright !

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Renee

Thank you for your reply.

I know, I'm so pleased I rang to find out. I think the thing that's getting to me is the fact that I waited 1 year on the list due to all the cancellations and I don't want that to happen again but I've got a feeling it will. When I'd had the op the surgeon said I had a big leg length discrepancy and that he would sort it out in 12 weeks when he did the other op. Now I feel in limbo again. I'm doing great from the first op which I'm really thankful for because I've been reading the forum for a very long time & some people really go through some tough times. I've emailed the surgeon direct so I'll see what comes back from that.

I hope you're okay Renee, you're such an asset to this forum.

X

• Posted

FWIW, my surgeon also tries to wait for for recovery (6-12 months) before doing the next hip.  I had to push to get them done 7 months apart.  That said, I suspect you'll get tons of answers depending on the location and surgeon.
    • Posted

Thanks michelb, with him saying he would do the 2nd op in 12 weeks I'm just disappointed I've now got to wait months & months and go back to the bottom of the list. Oh well, what can you do.
    • Posted

I know exactly how you feel; that's kind of how I got him the surgeon to agreeto do mine earlier.  He said he wanted to wait unil 6+ months after the surgery to start thinking of the other one but I said that if we wait until then, after that, I've got another 6 months on the waiting list so really it pushes it to 12+ months away so he agreed to pencil me in immediately so I could go on the waiting list and they ended up having an opening earlier (about 3-4 months after he agreed to do the 2nd).
    • Posted

It's a good job you made him pencil you in! 12 months is way too long to be waiting. How long ago did you have your 2nd operation ? How are you doing ?
    • Posted

It ended up being pretty fast. After I spoke to him, it was only a few months until my surgery was scheduled and it was performed 4 weeks ago.  I'm recovering better than I could ever have expected.

• Posted

That's brilliant, I'm really pleased you're getting on so well. I can't wait for the 2nd op, just to be able to get it all out of the way and back to some sort of normal.
  • Posted

Hi Joanne

I obviously can't answer your question from personal experience.

Just sorry you are disappointed with no clarity about the 2nd op. when you appear to be doing so well from the first one.

Communication does seem to be a problem in all aspects of the NHS. I am finding that frustratingly so myself.

I guess you have to be persistent and keep chasing/phoning etc.

Having experienced so many delays first time around you are naturally keen to get things clarified.

The powers that be don't seem to understand how upsetting it is to get contradictory information.

We just need straight answers.

It could be that it would be better for you not to have the 2nd op too soon.

But you need to know if that is the case.

Anyway I am so pleased you are doing well from the first one.

Good luck with getting the answers you need.

Best wishes

Joyx

• Posted

Hi Joy

How are you doing? Its not long now until your appointment !

Yes I know what you mean about waiting for 2nd op I'm just worried about being messed around again for a year, plus I'm not too sure about wanting it done in the winter as my downstairs loo is outside lol.

I'll email you soon.

Joanne x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.