3 days after anterior THR, thigh is severely burning and swollen

Posted , 6 users are following.

I just had the anteriror approach THR on my right hip. Last year I had my acetabullum crushed in a car accident and it was put back together through ORIF. I was one of the lucky ones that had AVN and had to get a THR. I read up a lot on the procedure but saw nothing about the severe and painful burning I am having. My ball was completely gone, I was always in pain and had to use a wheelchair or walker but this burning is almost comparative to the pain I had pre surgery. I am unable to walk with my walker much because of this pain not to mention the severe swelling I have as well. Is this normal? 

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Morning Carla I am so sorry to hear you are not getting any relief from your pain yet, I have no medical background so i can't offer any opinion on what you are experiencing except to say it's early days yet given what you've gone through. What has your surgeon said regarding your expectations post surgery. Given time your swelling will reduce and hopefully with gentle exercises you will get your strength back to start walking again and the pain will lesson with time. Not much help I know, but hopefully others will respond to your post who have had similar experiences. Keep posting you are not on your own take care
  • Posted

Hi carla,  I am sorry too to hear of the pain you are having ... are you still in the hospital or already at home?   is the burning pain around the incision and wound ? THR is a big surgery and muscles and tendons are severed - not in such a gentle way either ... if you are up to it an ahve not done so yet, you might want to watch the THR surgery on you tube ... however, you shouldn't have to be in so much pain - what kind of pain killers have theyb give you ? did you mentio it to your surgeon?   

I am 15 weeks post-op and still have the occasional burning sensation in and around the scar !!! but that is all it is . not meant to discourage you, okay ...

you are still so in your early days of recovery ... be gentle with your self and talk to your doctor - 

big hug - 

• Posted

Thanks so much for the responses. I had the surgery on Monday and was released late Tuesday. I did discuss my pain/swelling/burning/and slight puffy numbness (like from the dentist) and was told it was normal. I did not expect the burning sensation to be so severe. Silly me, I guess. The burning and puffy feeling is not near incision but more on the right of the middle of my thigh and right side of thigh going all the way to knee. I am on oxycodone/acetaminophen 5/325 1 to 2 every 4 to 6 hours and a generic for spasms/swelling called cyclonebenzaprine 10mg 1 tablet 3x a day. I Just want to know this is normal. When I researched the surgery beforehand, I only saw how fast and easy recovery was.
    • Posted

Oh, and surgeon told me prior to surgery that my pain would be greatly improved after surgery and I would be able to walk with aid with little pain. I was in a huge amount of pain months before). My hip pain is relieved, however, I traded that pain for this pain.
    • Posted

Maybe search the Internet for IT Band tenbdonosis.

Your IT Band (tendons) Go from your hip to your knee on the outside of your leg. I can tell you exactly where my IT Band is since I had tendonitis in IT Band Tendonitis on both legs. It could be that durning the surgery they twisted you leg in such a way as to injur that tendon. Any good physical therapist should be able to diagnose if this is your IT Band. I pity you if it is because it is very painful. The protocol if it is IT Band Tendonosis is to not do anything that will further injur the tendon. Wen you stress a tendon to the extent that you injur it, the tendon gets little rips and tears in it. What you don't want to do is exercize and make the tears deeper as scar tissue will form and then youy will have that for the rest of your life. I have tendonosis (tendenosis is when tendonitis becomes a permenet condition) in my left leg the IT Band. Be very cerful of your tendons.

You may have something different but perhaps look into this, again any physical therapist will be able to touch it and know. Outside of the leg, hip to the knee.

• Posted

Hi Carla,

I'm sure, given time, your pain and swelling will get less and less. My 'main' pain after my op was down my thigh. It was so painful when I had to do that heel to bottom exercise. But 6 weeks on and its much better.

If you are worried, you could always ring the consultant's secretary or your physiotherapist.

I do hope that in time your pain will get better. Good luck!

Anna x

• Posted

Goodness - that seems to be an awfully early release ... where do you live ? I know that in the USA (Los Angeles) they discharge you the following day ...I lived in L.A. for almost 35 years and one of my friends had THR surgery in May 2013 and, as I said, was released the following day - they made him get out of bed right after surgery, made him walk and he was discharged following day ...

I could see in how much pain he was but him being all male and macho said " it was okay .... "  

seriously Carla ... If you watch that video you will understand it  better - there is so much to this surgery - preparing the bones for the implants and all that - 

if the pain killers you are aking are not working, call and ask for different ones - or if it is unbearable, please go to urgent care and have it checked - maybe get a bloodtest or something - don;t wait too long - do you have anybody who can take you?

thinking of you and let us know okay?

the weekend is coming, so please take care of it today if possible ...

good luck - trust that it will get better ....

big hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Carla,

I had had the same surgery on Tuesday. Same my thigh is swollen so badly my pain has been worse in my knee. I have been using ice packs which have been fantastic. I actually slept with one on the other night. The ice helps the pain and the swelling. In hospital I had one ice pack on my knee and one on my thigh!

I am using crutches and can barely lift my foot but going ok. The stiffness from the swelling makes it difficult. I went for a lie down this afternoon to try and reduce it too.

All the best for your coming days/weeks

• Posted

Thanks everyone for your advice and experiences. I do live in the states and was released the day after surgery. Day 5 now and still very swollen. I have that puffy numb feeling on my thigh (mostly on outer half) that one gets after a visit to the dentist. The severe burning has gotten somewhat better. However, my leg is very heavy and can barely move to do the prescribed therapy. I only walk with my walker in the house to the kitchen/bathroom/bedroom and haven't ventured as of yet. It is still a struggle just to manage myself with those tiny walks. I really wish I would have found this forum before my surgery. Everything I researched prior to my surgery made it look like this would be a piece of cake compared to my ORIF surgery last year after my car accident.
    • Posted

Hi Carla ... How are you doing ? Hopefully you are asleep right now ..

Definitely not a piece of cake or an easy walk through the park ... I think that we all had the impression that it was just cut and go type of surgery - so many stories about how people were doing so great right after surgery - 

What kind of health insurance do you have? I am sure you're entitled to home healt care ... (I have worked  a couple of years for Home Health Office doing insurance ) - I think it is important to have a nurse look at your wound ... maybe change the dressing ... PT will come to your house as well as a home health aid who can help you with washing, getting dressed etc ...swelling is normal and also burning sensation - do you have a fever?  do you have an ice pack or frozen peas you can put on the swelling ? that really helps ...

take it easy and be very gentle with your self ...

warm hug

renee

take it easy 

• Posted

Hi Carla

I am so sorry you are going through this. You say you are suffering with painful burning. Is the skin tight and hot anda little red ? If so ask to be checked for cellulitis.

That is what I have now and I am on very strong antibiotics. I had burning painful very tight and swollen skin on both legs. No one would listen to me for over two weeks. I had to self diagnose and was told by an out of hours doctor today that, that is what I have. So do not ignore it. Get help to make sure. It can be serious

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.