3 month long outbreak?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone. I've been diagnosed with HSV-2 for a year and a half now. My first outbreak was awful. I couldnt walk or even stand without pain. I also have lupus which could contribute to how severe it was for me. I took medication everyday for my lupus so it wasnt hard to add antiviral therapy for herpes to the list. After the first one, I barely had outbreaks. Just a little tingling that lasted a few days. Well I stopped taking all my medication in August and I was fine until mid November. I have had this outbreak for 3 full months with no relief. I inconsistently got back on the antiviral once I felt the outbreak coming on but for the past month ive been taking a pill twice a day and still get new blisters every week. Has anyone experienced this? Could I be resistant to treatment?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

hey, Speak to your doctor about this . im wondering if you can become resistance to anti-viral medicine. However, you are taking a whole other medication on the side of it, could it have affected it too ? Let us know how it goes !

• Posted

I'm not taking anything other than the valacyclovir right now. I stop taking my lupus medications after months of no flare ups. its pretty common for people with lupus to do this because our treatment is centered around remission and lowering dosages. I will go speak to my doctor soon and update this thread. Thanks for the reply.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.