3 weeks later, bleeding! Anyone else?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Can anyone tell me if they have experienced heavy bleeding 3 weeks post surgery for anterior/posterior repair?  I had some bleeding immediately following my surgery for about 1 1/2 weeks, then light spotting after.  Today, I felt a gush and lots of blood, some clots.  The nurse tells me that it's not unusual.  Has anyone else had anything similar.  Now I have mild cramping as well (also just started today).  It was disconcerting and now I'm scared that I've messed something up. Yes, I've been bending to pick things up and I carry my heavy briefcase. I went back to work after 12 days post surgery which may have been too soon.  

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi. Would definitely get it checked out.My friend had some clots which was dried blood few weeks after op. Can be normal. Was told no lifting for 6wks as can undo the stitches and op.No more than 8lb or kettle. Also not to go back to work before 12 wks. Up to 6mths if heavy manual work. Please get checked out and take care
  • Posted

Crikey work after 12 days..I've been signed off for 8 weeks. I've just had brown discharge for 4 weeks, it's coming to end now. I've had cramps like period pains though.
    • Posted

Yes, insane!  I returned to work much too soon...  such dedication, ha ha!

Ok, so you have cramps too. I'll find out more when I see the doc next week.

I did have the brown discharge before but today it was bright red, as if I had my period.  By the way, I had a hysterectomy over 12 years ago, so after not having periods for so long, it did freak me out! 

• Posted

Yes, insane!  I returned to work much too soon...  such dedication, ha ha!

Ok, so you have cramps too. I'll find out more when I see the doc next week.

I did have the brown discharge before but today it was bright red, as if I had my period.  By the way, I had a hysterectomy over 12 years ago, so after not having periods for so long, it did freak me out! 

• Posted

I'm not surprised, it's worrying where blood is coming from. Let us know how you get on at doctors.
  • Posted

Hi same happen to me at three and half weeks bleeding had almost finished ,then out of nowhere heavy bleeding and large clots ,got put on antibiotics and told all normal 3days of heavy blood loss and large clots until that bad had to call 999 took into hospital where it settled down and 2 gynaecologist examined me ( no joke ) said they could,t see why I was bleeding ,go home and carry on .

Saw my surgeon 4 days later he examined me saw I had all stitches at back of operation had come on done ,Said no wonder I had bled so much ,he had to corterised the area and said I was back to weeks one again and to be very careful about lifting and bending .luckily everything settled down and I was being very very careful ,think I had done far to much those first few weeks ,with no scar on the outside you don't think to much about inside and there's been a lot of cutting and stitching up , so be careful .i am now 8weeks in and still in pain if I do to much but no bleeding ,I still think I need to slowly down and rest more than I do , but that's me .please go back to see ur doctor or book into see surgeon because it doesn't sound right ,good luck keep me informed how you get on x

• Posted

thanks maccy.  I hope I haven't messed anything up that can't be fixed again without requiring another procedure.  that's what has me worried and always thinking "did I just ruin everything?!"  And yes, you start to feel better and slowly get back to your routine.  And then, BAM, you forgot that you shouldn't lift/bend, etc. and OUCH!  sad  I will keep you informed...
  • Posted

Def think going back to work after 12 days is way too soon! I was told to stay off work for at least 4 weeks initially after a minor recticiocle operation and after seeing doc today she has signed me off for another two weeks. Think female doctors understand better than males! Ask for extra time off!
    • Posted

Lucky you, reenie50! I will definitely take it much easier in the next few weeks.  Baby steps...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.