3 weeks post op rectocele toddler jumped on my stomach

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,I had my rectocele 3 weeks ago,have been tired and bleeding since but nothing that seems to be out of the ordinary. This morning my toddler very kindly did a seat drop at full force on my stomach. I've also had a 'difficult' bowel movement today. This afternoon I started with stomach pains which spreads hip to hip and my perineum area feels sore.I have IBS and often have weird and wonderful stomach pains but this feels different. Could my child have caused any damage?

Thankyou for any advice

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

That's a difficult question to answer linda and I think only a doctor can give you an answer so make an appointment to see your GP. You could just be a bit bruised but I wouldn't want to tell you to wait and see. 

• Posted

Thanks for the response I will try and get in with the GP tomorrow

Can I also ask how long is 'normal' to bleed please?

• Posted

The bleeding should only last up to about 2 weeks but it's normal to have occasional "spotting" for some time usually occurring when a suture starts to dissolve and that's ok. Any heavy bleeding or passing clots should be checked out and don't be too concerned if your menstrual cycle is out of kilter because any gynae surgery can affect your periods. There's some interesting information on the Genitourinary home page under Useful Resources. The South Tees information is useful if you want information on when you can and can't do things. Hope that helps x

• Posted

Agree with Matron, only your doctor can tell you really, hope everything is okay.

IBS doesn't get mentioned much on here. It's the main reason I have been putting off having my rectoenterocele repair (I've previously had an anterior repair which also needs redoing). If you don't mind me asking have you found it a problem following your operation? Mine seems to be getting worse if anything, probably stress related!!

Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Hi, I've been taking stool softener religiously which I thought was helping but after a week nothing seemed to work-I was that terrified of straining I overdid the fruit,veg and medicine and nearly had a very public accident 🙈 Im struggling to get it under control but worrying about it probably isn't helping me either.

• Posted

It's difficult at the best of times, I found my system went completely haywire after my AR. I think you can only take one day at a time, I don't think the medical professionals realise how problematic having IBS is with a damaged pelvic floor.

• Posted

I also have IBS and am five weeks post op after rectocele. cystocele and sacro suture to my buttock and going to the toilet is my big problem at the moment too. I have to press tissues on myself to allow gallons of urine out or to go for BM without straining-is this normal? I have run out of codeine tablets because I was hoping to do without them. I have ordered more but meanwhile in agony. I was hoping to feel so much better by now. Although I am a granny age 68 I have parental responsibility for my six year old grandson who is very lively and on school holiday! I feel for you having a toddler jump on you and hope everything ok

• Posted

You shouldn't have to do anything to be able to pass urine or have your bowels open at this stage of your recovery angela. Have you spoken to your GP or consultant about this problem because if you haven't I think you should? Pain at 5 weeks is normal particularly after the amount of surgery you've had and it's good that you've asked for some more codeine however try to prevent constipation if at all possible. Codeine doesn't affect me in that way and I now take it for osteoarthritis but it can be a side effect. Have you tried stool softeners such as Dulcoese which you buy over the counter? They may help you pass a stool easier but give them about 3 days to have any affect. 

• Posted

You may have some swelling that's pushing against your bladder area that's not allowing urine out in the normal way? At 5 weeks this shouldn't be a problem. Do you have a 6 week check booked? If not I would request one asap to put your mind at rest. Get some help looking after the toddler if you can. Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks my check up is not till March which is a long time to wait so I think I will try and see my GP after the new year weekend if it is still like this. It does still feelquite swollen and hurts to sit on it!

• Posted

Thanks for the prompt reply. My stool is fairly soft as I am taking Lavido (Movicol) that the GP prescribed after on the eleventh day I still had not passed a BM having been prescribed something from hospital on discharge. I had the most awful BM like giving birth but since taking Lavido I pass stools all day long but its like it does not know which way to come out unless I press the swollen bit -sorry for being so descriptive. I have been putting off ringing GP with it being Christmas and now New Year but I did mention it to Physio at my appointment and she wrote it down but said it was early days so not to worry! Obviously when I read how well others seem to be afterwards it does make me worry a bit. I am going to ring GP after New Year if no better thanks
    • Posted

I agree you should speak to your GP because as you realise this isn't how it should be. Your physiotherapist isn't a doctor although she may be attached to your urogynaecologist team however I don't agree with her response. Are you due a post op check at any time angela? 

• Posted

Not until March so a long time to wait. I will ring my GP thanks
  • Posted

My kids jumped on me in 3rd week and I was fine. Hope you are too. Don't be afraid to ask your consultant. More often than not there won't be anything to worry about. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.