31/M Painful UTI. Please help. Detailed history inside.

Posted , 2 users are following.

31/M, 175cm/63kg, Complaint 12-18M/ Genital, No significant past history or hospitalisation, currently on levofloxacin 500mg once/day

Hello everyone, i'd like help with this problem and i'd be so grateful for any possible leads, as this is something that has made my life difficult for over a year and probably failed my relationship. I will try to list as much as possible, as brief as possible, so please forgive the non-descriptive post.

Sep 20

First vaginal intercourse with long-term partner (F). (Last intercourse nearly 2 years earlier, with previous partner, no incident.) Pain in penis base immediate. Urine having completely new & foreign smell (old cashew fruit?). Chalked it out to rough handling. 2-3 days later, (no intercourse since that) mild burn in urethra & tip of penis, slowly increasing. Thought it must be some minor injury. 10 days later, no reduction in burn. Azithromycin 500mg x2 taken, and relief almost within hours. Symptoms ceased.

Nov 20

Meeting partner after 1 month, and intercourse again. Pain in penis base immediate. Urine having completely new & foreign smell (old cashew fruit?), that fills the bathroom. Embarrassed to use public restrooms. Never experienced this in life before. Suggest possible STI & testing to partner. Partner denied possibility from past history. I felt it may be normal, and will stabilise with time. 2-3 days later, mild burn in urethra & tip of penis, slowly increasing. 4th day, with partner in quarantine, partner & i start azithromycin 1000mg once & doxy 100mg for 7days

Dec 20

Burning comes on & off. Partner asymptomatic since first intercourse.

Partner complains of stomach problems, urination problems for 1st time.

Agree on doctor consult. Urologist prostate exam, mildly inflamed. Prescribed levoflox 500, 5days. Symptoms disappear rapidly.

Gynecologist exam normal. Pap smear normal.

Both our urine sensitivity tests normal.

Jan 21

Symptoms persist for me. Partner asymptomatic.

New/ Gradual increasing symptom: smell of armpit, which is very familiar to me since puberty, and exact same as my father's body odour, CHANGES completely to smell like partner's vagina. I'm not making this up. It is so bizarre, i can't find any literature on this matter.

Mar 21

Symptoms persist for me. Multiple instances of intercourse in last year with same partner. Went to gynaecologist and GP with problems. They were dismissed both times. Another urine sensitivity negative. Multiple 7-14 day coursed of antibiotics taken. All work to varying degree, but symptoms return on discontinuation. Mild intermittent genital burning and armpit vagina smell driving me to despair.

Please help!

PS: We both went to the Urologist & Gynecologist and suggested we fear an STI. These are the teste we have done (as prescribed) since then:

Physical prostate exam

Urine culture initial and mid stream - twice

VAGINAL SWAB FOR CULTURE SENSITIVITY - twice

PAP smear - once

I don't know if these look for STIs.

Additionally we have undergone these courses:

Azithromycin 1000 mg once, doxycycline 100mg x 7 days

Amoxicillin 500mg twice x 7 days

Ceftriaxone (500mg) IM inj once, azithromycin 500mg x 2 days

She has done alone:

Clindamycin 100mg, Clotrimazole 100mg, Tinidazole 100mg pessaries x7 days

I have done alone: (some more than once, when the symptoms return)

Metronidazole 400mg x 7 days

Tinidazole 2000mg once

Ciprofloxacin 500mg x 10 days

Norfloxacin 400mg x 10 days

Levofloxacin 500 mg x 10 days

TMP-SMX DS x 10 days

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

It sounds like vagina dryness. Possible infection. you have tried almost all the antibiotics. I think its time to try other ways of restoring your sexual health. Or at least perhaps try antibiotics for a longer period.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.