34 M, Recently Diagnosed With High-Functioning Autism

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hey,

I’m a male. 34 years old. Got diagnosed with high-functioning autism 2 years ago. After a lifelong struggle of my quest for the answer: why do i feel different and whats wrong with me.

As a kid i loved to play with Lego, was very strict with what i liked and how people around me should behave. If i did not like something, i said it in a rude way, without understanding the social rudeness.

I had a strong melancholic feeling all my life. My emotions are difficult to explain.

I dwell deeply into every endeavor I undertake. From sports to music and writing.

Besides my autism, I have all my life struggled with anxiety and bouts of depression.

My biggest issue is the social aspect. I have a hard time listening, paying attention to others and feeling empty.

This has led me to probably the worst part of my autism: no true deep relationship with females, meaning no girlfriends.

I often feel lonely and escape from this world into my musical world. Because writing music gives relief and relates my anxiety.

I’m a deeply emotional person. I love dogs and children. But adult interactions drains me and makes me emotional.

MY mind is 90% music. probably to the level of OCD.

This of course is affecting all social interactions. I hate small talk and only talk about a narrow selection of topics. Mostly music.

Social interactions are draining for me. But my quest for love is an endless quest it seems. This has made me shut down internally from time to time.

With the frustration of lack of love, intimacy, and hugs from females. Online dating works but it is the real world social interactions that drain. After a while the dates gets boring and my mind gets filled with music. I have no issues getting dates. But still, I feel unexcited. Mostly because interactions take too much energy. So its a paradox. 

I have close friends and no problems getting acquaintances. 

But lack of love and female affection is killing my soul. I feel like I will remain alone.

Just wanted to ventilate a bit.

Can anyone relate to my story?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Gomez56070. I just recently figured out that my lack of romance and even friendships are hard to come by because of Asbergers. Its been a really lonely life and without any family support. It was back in the '60s when a teacher documented that I have a learning disability. I wrap myself up in listening to music and reading news on-line. I usually am able to have one close friend at a time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.