4 weeks on prozac for anxiety and depression

Posted , 6 users are following.

I started Prozac 4 weeks ago and its been pretty bad. Some days I can't leave my apartment because I feel so depressed. You just wonder when you will feel better. I take 20mg at the moment. Its hard going through this without someone being at home to support you

Sallyann

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

go back to your doctor's - the medicine may not suit you. people think this type of treatment is 'cure all'. I refuse to have any of it....

• Posted

tell your doctor about how you're not getting better. he may increase your dose. 20mg is low. i think the average responds well to 40 or 60mg. my doctor has me on 80mg daily. i know that sounds high, but ive been taking that dose for a couple of years now. with no bad side effects. i really hope you're feeling better

• Posted

Dear Sally Ann,

Please may I ask did your doctor prescribe Prozac or did you have to have it prescribed from mental health doctors as I am told that mental health need to prescribe Prozac and I really do not get on with mental health consultants as they are so rude and abrupt and leave in in tears -they have never suffered violent trauma - I know they would have to prescribe mood stabilizers as a doctor is not sanctioned but I need to check up on Prozac and another drug called Venlafaxine as everything else I have been on so far in 31 years - hope you get well Sally Ann and I know that is very easy to say but I generally care - Take Good Care.

• Edited

I've read your post. I'm a retired health professional and would like to share some information with you.

Realize that with most all medications for treatment of anxiety and/or depression, it can sometimes take six to eight weeks before steady state plasma levels are achieved and the full benefit of the medication is realized. Importantly, if you don't experience improvement within the next several weeks you need to promptly return to the prescribing physician to discuss alternatives. It's also important to note that treatment with these medications is based upon symptoms described by the patient and subsequently used as a basis for treatment choice by the physician. In other words, it could potentially take several trial medications before one is found to demonstrate the best positive effects while also producing the least side-effect profile. Remember to provide regular feedback to your doctor regarding your status and whether the medication is working.

As for suffering from depression that is compounded by anxiety, it's important for you to refrain from being alone. Although you feel troubled by the inability to leave your apartment, you should nevertheless seek regular contact with a trusted friend or online support network so that you can exercise your feelings and obtain feedback. Isolation is particularly unhealthy and only serves to drive depression and anxiety further along. Remember that this forum and its moderators provide an array of excellent resources for you to explore in learning more about your disorder and a host of resources available to provide help should you feel the need.

Prozac is among the class of drugs known as Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors and imparts its positive influence by increasing circulating serotonin levels. Serotonin, as you may already know, is the neurotransmitter responsible for the upregulation of mood and sensation of feeling good in simple terms. It is also a fact, however, that patients respond differently to the range of SSRI medications as a consequence of specific metabolism pathways that each SSRI medication utilizes and can most definitely affect how well a person responds to treatment.

So again, you should start to feel better and if not then remember to provide immediate feedback to your physician so that alternatives can be discussed that may result in more effective results in your favor. I'd also inquire whether your clinical depression/anxiety has been an ongoing difficulty and when it originally began or whether it is subsequent to a major life event.

Lastly and within the context of the usual legal disclaimer, my participation here should not be construed as formal medical advice, consult or treatment of any type but rather merely information to be used at your discretion in seeking improvement to your circumstances.

Best regards

• Posted

silly question but I am not a ill enough patient to fit in here it seems so lets cut to the chase how do you delete your reply when you ask sallyann or whoever member it is just a simple question and they cant be arsed to answer - even being told to F off would have been at least answer but being a bloke that makes you a weirdo stalker prolly. I have mental health medicine say Largactil for instance before these buggers were in nappies.

And moderators can ban me as the only way forward ids showing dosh to greedy private consultants who will do anything for money.

Worthless. Never met anyone who liked me here so must be me. Might as well be queer and look for men only.

• Posted

I've read your comment and although not directed exclusively to me will nevertheless provide a response. I am a retired medical professional and volunteer assistance on this forum as time permits.

Although I'm certain that you already know, participants on the forum are not required to respond and there are many reasons that they may elect not to do so. Realize that in most instances people do not attend the forum in constant real-time. Please note that the original post by sallyann632412 was made 6 weeks ago and the first reply was made one week later. Also take note that sallyann632412 has made no follow-up responses to anyone. This can be the circumstance in many instances and is entirely normal. Some people simply move on in search of answers elsewhere and doing so is entirely within their prerogative. It may also be the case that this individual obtained a satisfactory response elsewhere and thus has no need to make a return visit, again an entirely normal occurrence.

It's important to remain calm and maintain a proper perspective while posting to the forum. Everyone is welcome to the forum to interact or make inquiry in the manner they choose as long as it does not violate the forum rules.

Best regards

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.