4 years on from hip replacement and getting aches and pains

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all, my right hip was replaced 4 years ago and after the first year's pains it's been great since. But in the last few weeks I've been getting increasing stiffness and discomfort on the outside of my hip and down to my knee, in a pattern that's worryingly familiar. Has anyone else encountered anything similar? Should I be worried or could it just be a minor setback that will go away?

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I find im very achey if the weather is wet and cold. are you laying funny in bed??

Mention it to your GP if your not happy.

• Posted

Hi Martin

i am in a very simular situation. in my 4th year of hip replacement but recently been getting bad pains. its seems the stem was only 90% healed from the start, but the xrays over the past few years have not changed. on a recent visit to my consultant he said the stem might be flipping or moving a mm causing the pains but it's a THR again to sort the problem with big risk coming from removing the stem not to crack the femur . I am in my 30s and am pretty devastated over it as my job is manual work. I hope constant non impact exercise and stretching can help you. I do find the sauna and pool good at easing or masking the pains. Best of luck with everything

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.