49 years old and still having periods/spotting with mirena coil

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi ladies had the Mirena coil fitted 18 months ago due to heavy bleeding with pain and spotting between periods for months on end. Had a 10 cm lining so coil fitted. I bed and spotted for 7 months following insertion (this was much lighter and no pain yeah). Then no periods for 3 months i thought finally. I then had a period for 5 days but, light. i went 5 days with nothing then bleeding and spotting for 11 days. I had another period a month later but, again lighter, then went 3 months no periods again. However, 8th of Aug bled again for 10 days then 10 days period free then 11 days of a period again again nothing for 10 days but, now currently on day 28 of a period again. I get mild cramps and my period is light but, should i see the gp re this or is it normal?

The coil is still there and the bleeding is light but, the coil should not allow such long periods of bleeding surely? I am 49 , nearly 50 so very much perimenopausal. Anyone else had same occur?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

After having it for 18 months I would definitely call the dr. Your system should be regulated by now. I had a Mirena IUD about 15 years ago and after the first 3 months I didn't have any periods. I just got another put in a week ago and now my blood pressure is high, it wasn't before. So back to the dr I go tomorrow to have it removed and I'll be back at square 1 for getting my irrational bleeding under control. it's so frustrating 😫 Call your dr and I hopefully they can help. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.