5 days post vasectomy and still in pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had a vasectomy Friday 07/13/2018. The procedure went fine, felt no pain. After the numbing wore off I really started to feel the pain. While I was trying to rest my 2 year old climbed into my bed and I tried to sit up really fast to catch her before she hit the wrong place and just from me sitting up fast, caused a lot of pain!!!

My dr did not prescribe me any pain medicine so I have been taking OTC ibpufen 800mg 

The first 3 days my balls were the size of an grapefruit and it felt like I had another "ball" above my testicles. 

Today is day 5 and it seems like the lump is gone but my left side still hurts really bad, all the way up my shaft and the side like its sore from my testicles hanging. 

I can barley walk, I have been taking baths. The swelling has gone down a lot but the pain is still there.

Is this normal? 

My brother had a vasectomy and by day 3 said he was all good. I have to go back to work on Monday and I do a lot of labor work. I have an appointment tomorrow. But wanted to get some insight

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Not "normal" but not necessarily cause for concern. Don't go back to work mate, get to your gp, you might need anti biotics for an infection and he or she will give you some high grade anti inflammatories I'd expect. I spent 6 weeks in bed and was worried the whole way through. The worrying was worse than the pain. Don't sweat it mate, it'll be fine in time but get to your gp to get it sorted properly.

• Posted

5 days is well within norms. Can take quite a few weeks to settle down.

3 days quoted recovery is the fastest it'll be before considering light work duties.

If in large degree of pain with increase not decrease just keep an eye for further redness or swelling which can indicate possible infection

Get back to GP soonest to rule out infection (which is quite common as is large swelling). If nothing else they might be able to prescribe decent pain relief.

Just keep taking it very easy until pain subsides

• Posted

I had my vasectomy in Dec 2016. The doctor didn’t put enough anaesthetic in so I felt all of the quaterizing and snipping (uncomfortable to say the least)

From what you’ve described, it falls within the ‘normal’ area. My ballsack was the size of a grapefruit or mango for about 1.5 weeks. At this point I was feeling the same as you and what I found helped was to try and ejaculate. It was still tender so the key is to go slow.

Afterwards the pain was gone and felt like a blockage had been cleared. 

Give it a go only if you feel ready

• Posted

HI R, Look a vas for me, I was up and about the day after and at work, but with you it could be just the way your body has reacted to it, as we are all very different in the way our body's react, but one thing you should never be thinking doing your kind of laboring work till your really ready to, getting back to full health is a priority.

By the way get your self a jock strap there really good after a vas, I got mine free when I had mine done back in 1976, take it and it feels like you ball are dragging on the floor and using the toilet feels the same, Remember get to full health.

• Posted

I had a vasectomy around 3 months ago and feel your pain. I had pain for around a week and went back to my doctor who said it was infected. Had a dose of pills and that sorted it out. Rest up and go see your doctor and he will reassure you. It gets easier just hang in there

• Posted

I went to the Dr on Thursday. He could barely touch me without me withering in pain. He said he didnt think I had an infection or a hematoma but did give me an antibiotic and an inti inflamatory medicine. It has helped a lot so I think I may have an infection. 
    • Posted

Sounds similar to me. Once the meds were right took about 3 weeks to be back at work. Don't be alarmed if you start to get pus seeping from the wounds, once that happened I encouraged it to drain and things got much better shortly after that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.