5 weeks post Total Hip Replacement

Posted , 13 users are following.

Last week consultant advised I would NEVER be able to do everything I did prior to 1st total hip replacement! Would always have to maintain the 90 degree rule and always be aware of twisting body and not cross legs!  To me, this means I will never be able to get down to do my toe nails, pick up from floor naturally or do anything that would jeopardise the 90 degree angle!  Can this be accurate? Please help!

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Vonnie and welcome to the forum.

I had my LTHR following an accident and had been very fit and active prior to that fateful day, I also had multiple fractures.

I was told to strictly follow the 90 degree rule for the first six weeks and not to attempt cutting/painting my toe nails for a few months but that I will be able to resume most of my pre-op activities over the following months. The only restriction for me is not to compete in 3 day eventing and unless I was on Dobin not to ride. It has taken some getting useto but I know it is a high risk activity and the fact I am not in a wheelchair makes me count my blessings.

Did you have your THR due to osteoarthritis and what was your pain/mobility like before your op? Are you also having physio, if so, chat with your therapist and I am sure s/he will reasure you. Best wishes, Dot.

• Posted

Thanks for that Dot and hope you are still doing well. Had quite a bit of pain and could only do things for about an hour before needing to rest for about the same amount of time. Wear and tear (arthritis) was the cause and having virtually no physio apart from walking and leg stretching and muscle tensing. Will need 2nd one fine next year but was very disappointed to hear from consultant that, eventually I would not be as good as new! Keeping everything crossed anyway! Many thanks!
    • Posted

I have excellent physio and I believe it to be crucial to recovery if that is any help.  There are exercises out on the net but your GP should be able to help or even splash out on a one off private physio consultation.  Exercise is key.
  • Posted

Dear Vonnie,

You have to maintain the 90 degree angle only  for the first six weeks. I can cross my legs at the ankle, I can cross my not operated leg on the other one. I can bend to collect anything from the floor but I have to remember to stretch back the operated leg. I am only two months from my op, I hope to gain more flexibility and to be able to reach my toes in the months to come. At the moment I can reach the ankle of my operated leg,. I can do anything with my not operated leg, even reaching my toes!

I think your consultant was referring to the first six weeks after op.

Best wishes

Ella 

• Posted

I also had the 90 degree rule lifted at 6 weeks. At 4 months, as it is summer, I have not been near socks or tights, but have given up the grabber for getting dressed. Still use golfers leg when picking things off the floor. Will always be a bit careful re twisting bur expect to get back to very nearly as good as before all this started.

talk to your physio,  and ask your consultant if there is a specific reason why you need to obey the 90 degree rule for life

hope you get on OK

• Posted

I have never heard that. Did you have a complicated surgery? I don't see how that would be forever. I'd call him back for an explanation.
    • Posted

I agree with Ginger. NEVR being able to bend past 90 degrees? You are the first person who has ever written that their doctor said that. I would double check on that. Is this an experienced surgeon?
  • Posted

Hi Vonnie,

greetings! like others replying i'm more than a bit confused!

though different doctors/ physios say different things, the general consensus here says, i think, at six weeks you can relax and slowly get your life back to where it was a year ago, even more.

My breakthru was putting on knickers, sox and jeans standing up at six weeks. I'm now trying to crouch a bit, and i swim and gym weekly at 5 months. some folk are more cautious than others it seems, but with regular physio - which I recommend -the muscles make awesome progress and you can heal. Yes be careful and no suddenn turns, but your legs are made for LIFE and MOVEMENT.

Check wot your physio thinks,plan your own way forward,  and best of luck!

Mic

x

• Posted

Strange how different consultants are: at five weeks mine said" just get on and do what you like". By then, I ridden my horse, gently, got back on the static bike at 2 weeks as advised by physio, gone back to work and driven myself to his appointment.  Surely such negativity just flattens motivation?

2 nd hip, I'm tireder, sleeping more during the day but fully expect to be sitting on a static bike by the end of the week and turning the pedals. 

• Posted

Susan, and everyone who responded to my concerns, thank you so much for your time. Certainly put my mind at ease and quite accept that it all takes time. Happy with that and prepared to be patient. However, the consultants response to my query as to when I could expect to be ' back to normal' - NEVER really threw me! Really grateful for all your experiences. Many many thanks!
  • Posted

I've just been discharged from my consultant at 25 weeks. I was told that to twist your operated leg across your body risks dislocation but bending it away from your body is fine. I have just retrained myself to put on my shoes & socks with my knee bent outwards as I had been doing it the wrong way. I can cut my toe nails & paint them this way too!

He advised against skiing but it's not something I've ever done & at 66 I'm probably not going to risk it now. 

I think we just need to be aware of this part in our body & not take unnecessary risks. 

• Posted

Hi Vonnie, 

my surgeon said I should follow the precautions for the rest of my life.  My Physical Therapist said that was overly conservative and as long as I develop the muscles around the hip joint I shouldn't have to worry about dislocation.  I found that I was able to do my toenails fairly easily by sitting on stairs which made the reaching to toe distance closer.  I have probably violated all the precautions by 8 weeks post op.  I try to really be careful if there is twisting involved.  Listen to your body and take new things slowly until you see how your new hip reacts.  Good luck to you.

• Posted

Hi Vonnie. At my 7 week review my consultant also said that the 90 degree rule was for life, but on querying this he said that from experience, any dislocations he encountered were usually from people going beyond the 90 degrees. Now being only 51 I got this operation to get my life back, not to be so restricted as I was before. I am being careful, but gradually getting my mobility back x
  • Posted

Hi again,

As an ex uni lecturer in evidence based health...I do find the different views of our consultants even of some physios hilarious...or I would do so if it was not our bodies they are discussing and making weighty recommendations about.

However well meaning ...an over cautious approach is strange given muscles need to grow and develop. My current exercise is sitting and crossing op leg foot to outside of other knee and pulling op leg ankle towards my chest so my glutes are given a good stretch. This surely breaks every rule but I am at 5 months post op now.

So..plan your own path and yes be careful. This op offers you your life back. No one wants a dislocation but no one wants you hobbling round on sticks for ever either.

Take care

Mic

• Posted

P'S. I've yet to paint my toes blue yet!

• Posted

Hi mic, I agree - I did not get this op done to be wary of a dislocation for the rest of my life. I did it to get my life back and I am getting there. Looking forward to pushing the boundaries and painting my toenails any colour I choose xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.