50 year smoker just smoked last cigarette

Posted , 8 users are following.

Yes, 50 years. It's ruined my life. Tried for the last 20 years to stop, but ..........

I know the drill by now. I WILL do this. I want my few remaining years to be FREE. I've done all my preparations. Bottled water, herbal teas, reasons to quit. All ready. I've no support. Please wish me luck. It would be much appreciated. Good vibes sent to anyone else stopping on this first day of an exciting, fresh and shiny new year.

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sue, not only is this an excellent start to a new year and no matter what age you are its well worth quitting, its never too late, you will always feel better for it, I'm praying that you will only have to do it once, I want tell you it's easy because it isn't and it want be, but if you go into your smoke free journey with open eyes and an exceptance that you will never spark up again, I can tell you now that you want regret it, in fact it will be a real eye opener when your body gets over the withdrawal effects which last about 2/3 weeks for the onset but this gets better and after a while the only withdrawal symptoms are mainly in your head, I quit smoking Christmas day 2009 so I'm now 8 years and I didn't even post on the day LOL fresh orange juice sipped is also very good for helping you beat Mr Nicodemon, the journeys hard but not turning back will be your reward, support is the thing to get you there, so if your committed, not literally LOL but you truly want to become smoke free, get your butt on here regularly and tell us how you feel.

I wish you luck and more I wish you will power

• Posted

Alexandria

Thank you so much for your reply.

Congratulations on your own very successful quit.

I can get through the physical withdrawal, it's the emotional stuff. Lol, anxiety attacks, depression, the whole works. I will post. I will post every day! I desperately want to do this. I can't tell you the shame I feel if I ever go to the doctors or nurses. I'm lucky that I have reasonable mobility so plan to walk the legs off myself over the next few months. Thanks for the tip on fresh orange juice. I've also bought multi-vitamins and various other from Holland and Barrett. Your reply has given me a boost Alexandria. Happy New Year to you and yours.

• Posted

No problem, I think if we are lucky enough to be given support when we quit we should give it back 10 fold, I was the same up and down like a yo yo, anxiety was quite high but does improve, do you drink a lot of caffeine, I quit that as well, you can always go back when your settled, I have never gone back on it, I also found that for some reason I needed more water as quitting nicotine actually makes you dehydrated, so now your prepared for all that can hit u
    • Posted

Hi Sue how are you doing, I'm so hoping you are still trundling down the no smoking road and feeling better, if you have managed this time then I bet you have a few lightbulb moments, I'm sure you will carry on and succeed 🤣😃😃

• Posted

Hi Sue, well done you . I’m only on day 4 and I’ve smoked for 38years!!! It’s really hard going atm . I hate my mind playing games with me all the time. 😟 we can do this ??????

• Posted

Hi Sheena, your doing well, just getting the first 24 Hours out of the way is fantastic, it's possibly the biggest hurdle you will have to face, have you been to your GP and asked for some support, most practices have trained smoking staff now, yep Mr Nicodemus is a proper mind merchant, remember though that probably all the nicotine has left the building now so you can be assured that your body is starting to heal itself now so onwards and upwards

• Posted

You will definitely do this!  You are such a great and a brave and a smart person! 
  • Posted

Hi Sue

How has your smoke free journey been going.

Be strong and look forward to a positive answer from you.

Regards

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.