6 Weeks after Morton's Neuroma Surgery

Posted , 9 users are following.

So I am 6 weeks out from my Morton's Neuroma Surgery and my incision is finally mostly closed. I have been non weight bearing for the 6 weeks and am ready to start walking again. I am wondering if having swelling under the toes on the ball of the foot is normal? The pad is pretty big almost making it where my toes don't touch the ground and gets sore when I massage it. Just wondering when I start walking will that swelling go down?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Also it seems the selling wraps around the side of my foot on the pinky toe side. Just seems odd.
  • Posted

Hello 

I had the same problem after I broke my foot . I had a huge lump under my toes and ball foot , it was very painful 😣 My toes were huge , unable to touch the floor . 

Is called metatarsalgia I’m not sure what cause that . I soaked my foot with hot water & epsom salt 15min / ice 15 min 

Elevated my foot and try to move my toes ( I thought I will never move or wiggle my toes again , they were huge and paralyzed) I massage my foot gently 

Specially under my toes . 

Use a compression sock for swallow 

But the only thing helped with this problem was physical therapy.

The day I was able to move my toes 

The ball or lump went away  and my toes look normal  , it took time but my physical therapist helped me a lot with exercises 

Good luck 

I hope u recover soon 

• Posted

I had a similar thing when I started walking again after I broke my foot. I think it was because of stiffness and inflammation in the joints that eventually went away after a few weeks of sadly limping about. Wishing you a speedy recovery!
  • Posted

Are you experiencing numbness in your toes following removal of the morton's neuroma nerve?  My doctor said that will happen....I am just wondering if it is problematic or if you even notice that numbness very much.  I am considering having that nerve removed while I am having bunion surgery.   Thanks for any help.

• Posted

You will experience numbness in the toes but you can also experience some weird sensations in the ball of your foot where the end of the cut nerve is. If I massage that area I can feel the nerve end zing on me if that makes sense. When I walk now the ball of my foot is kinda sore, the orthotics help but I can still feel it. I am wondering if that will ever go away, I sure hope so.
    • Posted

hi! I know your surgery was three years ago but I’m 11 days postop neuroma removal. When I move my toes, I am getting a zing in the ball of my foot presumably from the end of the cut nerve. Did your zing ever go away?

• Posted

Do you still have have pain/soreness in the ball of your foot 3 years later? I am 6 weeks post-op. Even with cushioned sneakers there is discomfort every time I push off the ball of that foot just to walk. I am very eager to start doing cardo again. (brisk walking on the treadmill, elliptical, spin bike, etc.) Please tell me I just need to give it more time and that discomfort is going to subside!

• Posted

Hello fellow Morton's Neuroma patient,

I am 6 weeks post-op. I'm still feeling discomfort in the ball of my foot & occasionally some shooting pain into my two toes which I never had before surgery. How is your recovery going?

• Posted

just wondering how you are going now - you must be around 9 weeks post op? Have the shooting pains settled? See my post below. I am 5 weeks post op and worried about the pain and sensations I'm feeling down my toes every so often. I can't even imagine wearing a sock, let alone a proper shoe in 2 weeks time. My swelling is almost gone, just some bruising along top of foot. Also when i rub my hand underneath my foot where nerve has been cut, I can feel it tingle in the end of my toe. Is that normal ??

• Posted

I am almost 5 weeks post morton's neuroma surgery (between toes 2&3) plus weils osteotomy on my third toe. Am really interested to hear how others nerve pain is going. Has it settled? I was alarmed at how much zinging in my 2nd and 3rd toes there has been, lots of pins and needles in my foot. My foot was jumping on its own! When i had my 2 week post op with my surgeon to have the stitches removed I said to him I had this op to remove nerve pain and now its worse than before! He said its all very normal and part of the healing process and it can take up to 6 months for everything to settle! I do think its a bit better this week than last few weeks and im probably being impatient. Am in the surgical sandal for another 2 weeks so lets see when i start to wear normal shoes again. In the meantime, trying to rest it as much as possible, doing exercises I was given, massaging the scar as well as icing it a few times per day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.