6 weeks off Tramadol

Posted , 6 users are following.

I just wanted to share my story in hopes that anyone who is currently struggling to get off of this medication or who is in the midst of withdrawal, might have some hope that there's light at the end of the tramtunnel.

I started taking it 5 years ago for the pain issues I was having, being assured it wasn't a narcotic or addictive (right!). Fast forward 5 years and countless pills later, I became a full blown ADDICT. Popping 20 of these a day just to avoid withdrawal! They no longer worked and the person I became while on them was disgusting. 6 weeks ago I had finally had enough and quit cold turkey. For me it was the only way. These pills had such a death grip on me and it was scary (even after having a grand mal seizure I continued to take them like an idiot!) The first week I quit was hell on earth, but gradually as the days have gone by, it has gotten better. Don't get me wrong, I'm still having some feelings of low energy and feeling some sadness, but it's so much better to actually FEEL something rather than be a numb, pill popping zombie everyday.

I've also found that Tramadol was making my pain WORSE, and now at about 6 weeks free, my pain is significantly better. The mental battle you have to get through is the hard part, but if you want to be free bad enough, it's so worth it. I'm prepared for the PAWS, because I know it'll come, but knowing what I'm facing makes it bearable. I honestly think this drug is the devil and shouldn't be prescribed, but that's just me. It works for a lot of people and they never get 'addicted' to it, but for me that wasn't the case. I've been taking vitamins, St. Johns Wort, and 5htp which I believe has helped fight off the depression immensely. The thought of having to go through this all over again is the biggest thing that has kept me from going back.. NEVER again could I go through the withdrawal that first week or so.

Anyone who is struggling and wants to quit, please do it! I pray for everyone who is going through it, it's not easy by any means but it can be done, the withdrawal won't last forever, I promise!

5 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

yup , i was there too. Coming up on a year off a 800  mg  a day habit---soooo much better to be drug free---i don't drink as much anymore either--maybe 2 -3  beers a week
    • Posted

That's amazing! I can't wait until I can say that I have a year under my belt, seriously congrats bc this crap was the hardest to quit. What helped you to get through it?
  • Posted

you have to have someone your accountable to, in my case my wife. Once i told her she was in my corner all the way. I did a sloooow taper, took like 2 .5 months to wean down to nothing, and she dipensed all the meds to me.
  • Posted

I was on it for 8 yrs at normal dose until last 2 1/2 yrs (which was mayish of 2012-2014) then slowly jumped up till taking 15-20 a day of 50 mg pills (in USA). May of 2014 I had to go to a detox facility for 5 days (it was hell first 3 days then got a little better) I was prescribed Klonapin because I have anxiety since a child but didn't realize it until therapist pointed that out in therapy. It helped alot. I got sleep. Which sleep is very important to be able to fight off the withdrawls an PAWS that was to come an still have it. Depression reared its head in Aug. Very badly. Iv tried 4 different antidepressants. Rt now Im not on anything. Letting the Prozac get out of system completely. Mel, you mentioned you take St. John Wart an 5htp. Those shouldn't be taken together. Look it up. Iv got medical background an those two together can cause Seratonin Syndrome. Tske one or the other. Personally Id take the 5 htp. St. John Wart interacts with alot of meds an side effects. But, you can do as you want just a heads up. I did have a seizure while on Tramadol. I had taken 3 at once (stupid) in 2009. Fell into parents t.v. cabinet an cut head open. Ambulance came. So embarrassed! But did that stop me?? No!!! It also made me feel good. Not high but like I could accomplish stuff. More energy. It increases Seratonin an Norepinephrine in the brain. So it also is a slight antidepressant. Our daughter died in 2000 so when I started taking it in 2007 (?) It was like wow Im not so sad anymore an worrying all time. I had 2 sons then an worked part time at a hospital. I started Tramadol because of a tibial stress fracture. Very painful. An I was on my feet all day in surgery working. My father had a hydrocodone habitan I was afraid of any pain meds. But Dr convinced me that this was a new non-addicting drug. I hesitated but then said ok. From then on I would get it fr various Dr's here n there. I also have herniated disc in lumbar area an degenerative disc disease there to. An fibromyalgia. So would get it for my back ,etc....I do have to say be weary of the PAWS. It hits hard. I to tried 5-htp, Vit. D an Vit. C. Nothing really. Exercise helped a little but as days turned into months an months an months, it got worse an by Dec I was wondering why I'm even here on this earth. I had already tried Zoloft an Lexapro from May of 14 to Dec. Zoloft made me very sick physically. Toxicity. Liver enzymes went up an were normal before. Flu like symptoms. Severe diaherra. Big wt loss. Not eating. Joint pain. Couldn't take it after 2 months. Then came Lexapro in October. It litteraly put me to sleep! Sleepy ALL the time an wanted to eat ALL the time. Didnt help mentally either. Then in 2015 had to have gallbladder an appendix out. Tried Zoloft again but no go. Then in Oct of 15 got on Cymbalta. It helped with fibromyalgia pains but not much mentally. Was on 60mg. My blood pressure went up to. So stopped it. Horrible withdrawls. Then Prozac in Jan. Horrible starting side effects. But got same toxicity as Zoloft. So had to stop. Just a merry go round. Really depressing. Don't know now what to do. Still take Klonapin as needed. Thanks Tramadol for screwing my brain up! Goodluck on your journey.
    • Posted

Oh my!! I'm glad you're off of them but I'm so sorry you're struggling to get back on track.. having to go through taking all those AD's that just caused you terrible side effects must be awful. I'm even more sorry to hear that your lost your Daughter, my heart breaks for you sad and then stopping tramadol cold turkey? You are one strong person!!! I do know that PAWS is rough, I'm struggling with it now but not as bad as you, I wish and hope that it gets better for you I really do!! I do know that everyday you put between you and that awful demon drug is better than any day of taking it. I too liked it for the energy and motivation it gave me, but then it turned on me and just made me a completely lazy, numb person living in the 'tramafog'. I didn't care about ANYTHING except my little white, round, evil friends. They definitely mess up your brain, but the brain is an amazing thing and given time, it'll heal itself.. what you're feeling won't last forever, just remember there are MUCH better days ahead and keep pushing through ♡
  • Posted

I totally agree, this medication Tramadevil, as I call it should never be used long term (as it was prescribed for me) 

After long term use, most people will become addicted/dependence, call it what you will, same thing, your body/brain will cry out for the drug if you try and stop!

im on day 36 and still struggling with withdrawal symptoms. I'm having a few "Windows" followed by "crashes" and I know after 7 years of using this nasty drug one maximum dosage that it can take up to 2 years to reach homeostasis. I have been bed ridden for most of those days, but am beginning to go out for a couple of hours now, but not well enough to go back to work which is my goal and to "feel" human again, I can't wait to be free from this mind altering drug, yes, it messes up your neurotransmitters, in fact, it has an impact on your entire body, it messes up your automic nervous system and it can take months and months, even years to get right! 

Hence PAWS. 

I found the more you research the better equipped you are to understand why you are feeling the way you are withdrawing from this EVIL drug.

so please for you that you are breaking free and healing!

💖💖💖

• Posted

Tramadevil is right!! Lol

36 days for you that's great! Getting off this junk is the hardest thing I've ever done that's for sure.. and yes the PAWS can be scary, especially in the beginning, hence why most people relapse after months clean because they just don't want to deal with it anymore, which I understand. I just know what I'm in for because I looked it up as well, just to know what I'll be facing. But just knowing I'm done with them and don't have to worry about running out, counting pills etc makes me feel a lot better, proud even. I also have 'windows' like you described and when it happens I just tell myself it's the tramadevil talking and that if I go back these past 6 weeks would have been for nothing.. and honestly I don't think I have another withdrawal like that in me! Good luck on your journey as well, I wish you nothing but amazing days ahead, because even though it doesn't feel like it right now, it WILL get better! Have to keep telling ourselves that anyways wink

• Posted

thanks so much your story had expired me to cut down to two a day for a weeek or two then one then none i have taken up swimming again well flopping untill arfter my operration april 19th then once through that build up again each day i would manage a mile swim took 60/70 mins but kept me of the pills since my son passed in dec i have been back on them only good thing is gave up the smokeing now t total one more battle to go thanks for that add well done to u 
    • Posted

James, you CAN do this! I'm so sorry for the loss of your son. Our daughter died in 2000 but it seems like yesterday all the time. I remember a woman telling me 4 days after Megan died" it WILL get better". I wanted to slap her! But it is true. I still mourn for her an want her here an cry at sudden times but I can talk about her now. I know she is well taken care of with The Lord. But it has taken a long time for me hence the Tramadol addiction I think. I was using it to give me fake happiness an rid myself of Generalized Anxiety Disorder. But it's a lie! Now just struggling with depression. Everyone is different an may not suffer long. If you are tapering off, do it VERY SLOWLY . Like chg dose once a month. An have someone hold your pills for you an hold you accountable. You will feel better about yourself each cut. I did cold turkey but that was only way I could it at a detox facility. An NO GUILT in getting other meds to help with withdrawls. Like anti-anxiety or antidepressants. Im on Klonapin rt now when needed usially to sleep. My mind goes 90 to nothing at night. All night!! Goodluck . Remember, one day at a time. Also I attended Narcotics Annonamys (spelling?) An went to a therapist for CBT. It helped. Im in Texas, USA.
    • Posted

Cutting back is the first step! A lot of people say tapering makes it easier to get off of tramadol, and I hope that's the case for you smile

I'm also sorry to hear about your Son, too, makes it SO much harder to quit when you're going through such a difficult time, I pray it gets better for you.

And I have to say I laughed out loud at the 'flopping' in the pool lol if I had one I'd be flopping in it too! Good luck with your upcoming operation as well smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.