6 weeks post op and now diarrhea - is this my new norm?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm so discouraged. The surgery and recovery were a breeze but now I've got abdominal pain and diarrhea - started about 1.5 weeks ago. I'm so afraid I'm going to have to live with this.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

This can be the new normal for a while. Your body needs to get used to the new levels of bile in the system as there is no 'holding place' anymore. It does help to stay with smaller, more frequent meals that are low fat and non dairy. No fried foods.

If you feel the symptoms are difficult to handle, ask your doctor to evaluate; maybe he can offer a way to cope or some med to help.

If you have any fever with these symptoms, you may have developed an infection and need to be seen or tested. (I acquired C. Diff. after a surgery once; it is very difficult to get rid of !)

Take time to adjust and recover. Don't rush back into life too soon. I hope you feel some improvement in a few days !

• Posted

Thank you so much - this is so encouraging. As long as I know it will improve then I can deal with it (I think)!

Thanks

• Posted

I'm having the same issue. I'm 6.5 weeks post op. Four days after surgery I was eating everything normal (except spicy) without problems. Last few days I eat and run to the bathroom but I think my diet has a lot to do with it as I'm busy and eating not as healthy. I also stopped taking probiotics so maybe it's time to go back on them.

• Posted

Your body will take a while to adjust. I remember thinking is this what it's going to be like. I tried seeing if anything triggered it like cream or dairy etc but it was just my body readjusting. Now (15 months post op) I only get diarrhoea if I skip meals.

• Posted

Thank you - this is encouraging. I appreciate you responding- it helps.
  • Posted

I can definitely relate to your concerns. It has been a little over a month since my surgery and experiencing some of the same issues you mention., the responses to your post are most encouraging and I have to learn to be a little more patient with this recovery. Hang in there and I will try to do the same.
    • Posted

Yes just knowing I'm not alone helps so much. Best of luck to you!

• Posted

Today I started to get the dreaded and familiar ache low in my abdomen. I am wondering if it's the excess bile so I ate some crackers and it seemed to help. Is this how it works? Could this theory be correct- that the crackers soaked up the extra bile and kept it from irritating my stomach? Also I have lots of gurgling and churning noises. Anyone else have this?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.