7 days post PKR

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am on day 7 and struggling to walk with foot flat on floor due to pain down back of leg, I remember this pain from when I had the first knee last year but can't remember how long it took to ease off!! Ouch!!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Robert

Scar tissue makes it hard for you to flex your knee properly, especially while it is still 'raw'.  When you sit, try putting your foot on a tray and sliding it back as far as you can and then forward so that you are straightening your leg/knee, then lifting your knee (straight) as far as you can, eventually you will fiind that the pain will lessen, your muscles will start working properly and you will be able to walk better.  Try working on the pain first as that is stopping you using your joint properly and the tendons/ligaments at the back of your leg will complain

• Posted

Thanks sueisobel

I will keep on we with these exercises and should ease soon

• Posted

Try doing some hamstring stretches while sitting on your couch or bed. Straighten your leg as much as you can ,then lean over it putting your hands on your thighs then toward your knees and eventually, if you can, toward your ankle. Hold for 30 seconds. Repeat three times.

Go easy, and stretch only until you feel the stretch. You will probably get looser a bit more each time.

This stretch helps me with my BACK-OF-THE- LEG pain. I do it with both legs before I get out of bed in the morning and anytime I am around a couch!

• Posted

Yes I agree that you need to carry on with stretching the muscles at the back of the knee. Before I had my op I stepped awkwardly and my muscles at the back of the knee went into spasm and I was walking on my toes for 6 weeks prior to my op. It was such a relief to be able to fully stretch my knee when I was able to start the physio. Its a long road to recovery but you will get there. Can I be cheeky and ask if you had a medial or lateral partial knee replacement.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.