7 Months After Scoliosis Surgery Arm Pain (what should i do?)

Posted , 5 users are following.

Im 15 years old and i had scoliosis surgery 7 Months ago ( march 10th 2015) , Well ive been getting right upper arm stiffness pains and i don't know what to do?

Any Advice?

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

It sounds like a bunch of mustles and ligaments are still healing but always call your surgeon to see if it's normal! Sorry i can't be of much more help and please keep us posted
  • Posted

Hi nick80875,

Had surgery many years ago-Double rods-I hope you are doing O.K., besides this arm pain. I was forced into manual labor because of economic needs, and never knew it would save me.

Work out!

You're probably trying to reestablish circulatory rhythym-Work out, in controlled method.Don't do anything to bend your arm backwards,but build the muscle around your spine.This surgery tears us apart, but we can rebuild to be stronger than we ever were.

Drink water-Don't roll your eyes-Drink water and milk.

Eat protein-and be sure you sleep 8 hours a night.

These seem like simple, stupid examples,I used to think the same thing. 

Roll over when you sleep, set a timer if you need to-Don't sleep on one side all night-

Rest is Rust-Don't Rust-Go hiking-play tennis, walk 3 miles a day, get a dog, if it will make you walk more.

Do not take aspirin, or pain meds.They hide the issue, and you'll just hurt yourself more.

Read one good book a week, and eatt something every week you crave.The body heals with balance,and the things you love give your body more motivation to do it's thing.

Remember, you're not paralyzed, and your life is one great experiment,now get to living, and don't be afraid.

• Posted

Wow that's an awesome answer for Nike and way better than i gave! Thank you.
    • Posted

Hi Normagray02,

I'm new to this ,and bless you for your response to my comment.Every response is beautiful,and we are all here for eachother. You have touched me ,and thank-you!

• Posted

You are welcome very much and I'm new to this as well which makes any advice pretty good when you can't figure something out on your own like me right now lol!
    • Posted

Wow thanks for the great advice, i do drink lots of water , always hydrated , I sleep usually around 8-11 hours a night , i dont usually roll over but yeah thanks againsmile
  • Posted

Hi nick, do you mean stiffness as in muscle tightness or actual numbness stopping your arm moving? If it's the muscles then they're probably stiff and need exercising etc. I had a numbness in my left arm where I physically couldn't move my arm and it was due to bulging herniated discs that were also dehydrating pressing on nerves stopping my control in my arm.. If you're experiencing what I had they can only accurately see it with an MRI so it's best to be safe! Good luck.
    • Posted

My arm doesnt have that much pain as urs but i do exercise but I've heard I could have carpal something syndrome
    • Posted

Hi Nick,

It's Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, and that's forever. Don't rest your arm on a table,with your elbow bent, dont fall asleep with your arm folded-Keep yourself insulated-Sorry, these are things that happen, but they're not such a big deal.Don't get surgery, you'll create 4 problems to fix one. You'll be O.K.-

• Posted

If it is carpel tunnel my husband is fixing to have surgery on both hands this time! They only did one hand the first time but he didn't follow doctors orders very well and now he has to have it done. I will tell you he said as soon as they did surgery the first time he felt much improvement until he went back to work the next day after it was done but it does help and if you need it get it but listen to the doctor! Yes you may have to have more surgery down the road but it helps and i hope you get better soon God bless you always
  • Posted

Sound like your muscles. I had surgery Feb 2015, still numb on the left side of back and still have muscle tightness. Exercises as it does not sound bad. If you are that worried go see doc or talk to consultant at next meeting. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.