7 weeks after orif surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

had orif surgery 7 weeks ago .still have boot .am weight bearing a bit more .because of coronavirus havent been able to have an x ray .physio to do on phone instead .just noticed a ridge along the scar sight .worried it's the bone not fully aligned. or not sure what ! any ideas . thanks

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Surgery scars often do tighten up as they heal and then may take a long time for that scarring to fade.

Scar healing has three stages and towards the end of the second stage, beginning of the 3rd stage there is production of collagen and it is overproduction of that that may cause what is called keloid or hypertrophic scars:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/scars/

I assume you will get a post-op check at some point so you can ask for advice then about how to look after the scar. The scar will take quite a while to fade but I doubt you need to worry about the bone not being aligned properly if you have been non-weight bearing - there is probably a load of metalwork and sutures in there holding everything where they wanted it to be! I did - my scar goes over the knee and it was the knottiest bit but eventually faded and flattened. That took a long time because of the position I think.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.