7 weeks off olanzipine, terrible insomnia

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was on 15 mg olanzipine for 13 years due to depression, anxiety and insomnia. i was misdiagnosed as bipolar when all the symptoms started with perimenopause. i started tapering a year ago, went down to 10, 5, 2.5 then cut the pills in half to spproximately 1.25mg did these tapers for three months at a time. went off at 1.25 and am now 7 weeks off. i was also prescribed xanax all those years but never took it consistently until I went down to 2.5 then became more anxious with insomnia. took mostly .25 but increased up to 1mg til now because of the anxiety. told doc I want off so he prescribed klonopine. having nausea as well. How long til some sense of normalcy returns?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

Your taper was very, very fast. The symptoms you mention are likely because of the way olanzapine works on your brain's GABA receptors. If you are really suffering sleepwise, I'd suggest you go back to the absolute minimum amount of the drug necessary to facilitate good sleep, then start tapering at (the absolute fastest) rate of 10% per week, using a pill crusher and milligram scales. Without good sleep, you will find it very difficult to get back to normal because your brain has adapt, and that cannot happen without sleep.

• Posted

7 weeks is a long time, i say perhaps you should lower of dosage over time and then stop taking the medication and speak to your doctor about progress.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.