7 weeks post op and feeling a bit blue today

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi there,

After the thrill of seeing consultant st 6 week check and getting driving again I'm in a bit of a slump.

I went for my favourite woodland walk which is pretty much all uphill and because my dog ran off I had to go much further than I planned! So effectively did 1.5 miles steep up hill and then the same steep downhill! And so I'm back to being a wee bit sore and not feeling very stable on just one crutch so back to 2. .

I know this is a journey and it can't be rushed but the frustrations are difficult!

I'm desperate to be fully functioning by the end of the school holidays so I can get back to work but cannot imagine it's going to happen.

Sorry for the moan, but I know those on this forum understand and it saves being a moaning Minnie to those around me!

S

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

That's what this forum is for, excited with your good news, upset with hick ups. I'm 12 wks p o. I had a very long day a few wks ago. Couldn't wait to get home to rest, even the next day my legs were aching. I had a lazy day and I am building up to how long I go out for now. It's a long journey. I thought at 12 wks I'd be bk to normal. No, still slow and achy sometimes. I haven't used my crutch for a few wks so that's a bonus. Hope you feel better soon.

Brenda xx

• Posted

Hi there, as the old saying goes, slow and steady wins the race. Hope your feeling back to your old self soon.
  • Posted

Hi S:

Sorry you are having a slump.....we all have had those that is for sure. I have noticed in my own recovery that it seems like two steps forward and one back. We will have days when we seem to be doing real well and other days where it feels like we are going backwards. Is hard to judge what is enough exercise and not over-do it. We find out when we start to ache that maybe we did a little much. Try not to get discouraged, you may feel you have a setback today and then tomorrow do a lot better. Wishing you well and hope you feel better soon. Barb

• Posted

Relax. To me it appears you are doing fantastic at just 6 weeks. I am at 8 months and 1 1/2 miles uphill would slow me down
  • Posted

Wow-sorry like you are FEELING like you are having a set back BUT I think for 6 weeks you are doing fantastic.  It is 14 weeks for me, and yesterday I played 18 holes of golf and could just barely make it the last few holes, especially with my longer clubs.  Today, I am VERY VERY SORE and will probably take it easy.  It is a long, slow and steady recovery...but you are WAAAAAY ahead of the curve!  Hope you feel better over the next few days....give your pooch a hug for me.  biggrin

• Posted

Moan away. That is what we are here for!

You sound like you are doing amazingly. I did a similar thing yesterday!  

Took the dog out on my own for the first time and our dog- who NEVER does this. Wandered off and got lost so even though I was practically at the end of the walk I had to retrace my steps and walk back the way I had come!  Doubling the walk!  Felt I had overdone it. But rested a bit and surprisingly fine today. So difficult to getting the balance. 

I am sure we will both be fine to get back to work after the Summer holidays. I just have to compare myself with 4 weeks ago!  

Massive improvements since then. 

Take heart it is all progress. 

Sending healing Fairy Dust. 💫🌟

• Posted

Hi Kris,

Thanks ?? My dog never runs off usually either, maybe he's making up

for the shorter walks he's been having recently!

It's funny isn't it, Sometimes the more I do the stronger I feel and other days I'm back a step but as you say what a difference in a few weeks!

Thanks for the fairy dust!

S

• Posted

P, there a many with two perfect hips who cannot do what you accomplished 6 weeks after surgery. Time for celebration rather than concern. Continue to push yourself and very soon, you will be very pleased with the results. Best regards, RJ, 10 weeks post op and very happy with the results to date. 
    • Posted

Hi RJ,

Thanks for that.

I think keeping going is the right thing to do: presuming it'll strengthen my hips: had both done and the more I exercise the stronger my muscles get so I can get where I want to be quicker. I think because there is no prescription of exercise targets etc that can make it trickier. .

Was at the outdoor pool today and felt much more positive after ?? The warm salt water really helps!

Thanks

S

• Posted

Hi S .. 

checking in with you and hope you feel better- 

it is this stop-and-go on this bumpy road to recovdery that gets us down - especially when we find out we are not as progressed as we thought --- 

our body needs the plateau to rest up and get stronger - healing is taking place all the time -

Had something similar happen recently - My nephew placed his cat with me (they are getting a dog) and the he escaped ... didn't come home for 2 nights .... I walked so much more trying to find him and realized how fast I am out of breath ... SO frustrating .... luckily he walked in -

Our friends and family don't know how darn lucky they are that we have each other !!!!!

you are doing great ... 

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

You are doing really well! We are allowed to feel a bit down sometimes, it's not surprising after all we've been through.

Keep at it though. Every walk you do is "money in the bank" towards exercising your muscles and getting stronger.

I am seven months post op and my new leg is now part of me and is so strong (just the other one to be done and I'll have a matching pair ?? !!

• Posted

Hi, I'm also 7 weeks post-op today & am walking further & further with my dog. I also went on our favourite woodland walk yesterday & I took my trekking poles with my. Boy did I know about when I got back! My thighs & bum were really warm (not painful, the feeling you get when you know you've done a bit)! & today my operated leg feels a bit tender. Don't be put off though, it's all part of the healing. I'm also planning on returning to work in about 4 weeks. Luckily I can do a phased return (my manager even said 'come in for an hour if you want'wink! Chin up x

• Posted

I was doing my driving lessons before my first hip replacement and couldn't carry on with them. After a year have had my second I'm 43 and understand your frustrations. I think I'm going concentrate on my theory this time, then start my lessons. Think you should let your self heal for the best for your muscles to proper knit together again. Good luck piccolapie xx

• Posted

Hi there your situation sounds like u r doing best u can

I just joined thus second at 5 days post up

So lead the way and i hope your evening helps

J

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.